Home » Audio » Room Acoustics » The size of the room
The size of the room [message #88911] Sun, 30 September 2018 03:23 Go to next message
lilbill is currently offline  lilbill
Viscount
It just hit me that I have never considered the size of a particular room when looking to purchase speakers when in fact, this should be put into consideration. There is clearly no point in putting large speakers in a small room (and vice versa) if the quality of the sound produced, would be anything to go by.
Re: The size of the room [message #88972 is a reply to message #88911] Tue, 09 October 2018 15:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lilbill is currently offline  lilbill
Viscount
The size of a particular room matters in the choice of speakers. A speaker too big for a certain space will lead to sound distortion and one that's too small, will sound washed out. In my view, it is actually what guides the purchase decision.
Re: The size of the room [message #88975 is a reply to message #88972] Tue, 09 October 2018 17:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

You might do a search here for "small rooms" and "room modes."

Re: The size of the room [message #88978 is a reply to message #88975] Wed, 10 October 2018 00:03 Go to previous message
sawyer25 is currently offline  sawyer25
Master
Wayne Parham wrote on Tue, 09 October 2018 17:13

You might do a search here for "small rooms" and "room modes."
Hey Wayne, thank you for the links; they have provided answers to a lot of questions I had in mind. I realize that people hardly notice that it is the little things that make a big difference, in how sound is produced.
Previous Topic: How to keep the neighbors' noise out
Next Topic: Sound masking vs sound absorption
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Oct 19 18:03:34 CDT 2018

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout