Home » Audio » Room Acoustics » The shape of the room
The shape of the room [message #88923] Mon, 01 October 2018 11:53 Go to next message
drake is currently offline  drake
Master
Considering that it is best to set up speakers equally, I have heard it said that a square space is perfect. How should one go about placing speakers (and any audio equipment) in a room that isn't square?
Re: The shape of the room [message #88925 is a reply to message #88923] Mon, 01 October 2018 12:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Square rooms aren't good because room modes are strong. You would definitely benefit from multisubs - in any small room actually - but even more so if the room is square.

Re: The shape of the room [message #88930 is a reply to message #88925] Wed, 03 October 2018 12:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sawyer25 is currently offline  sawyer25
Master
Wayne Parham wrote on Mon, 01 October 2018 12:44

Square rooms aren't good because room modes are strong. You would definitely benefit from multisubs - in any small room actually - but even more so if the room is square.

Wayne, which then is the ideal room because I thought a square room would offer the most ideal environment once the bass frequencies have been controlled?
Re: The shape of the room [message #88932 is a reply to message #88930] Wed, 03 October 2018 13:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The ideal room is outdoors, because there are no walls or ceiling to act as reflectors. Obviously, that's not an option so next best thing would be a very large, well-damped room having randomly contoured walls with no large flat surfaces. That's probably not an option either so the next best thing that's reasonable is a room that is well-damped and has no dimensions that are integral ratios of another.

Most times, you have to work with what you have. But damping and multisubs really help smooth room modes. If I had to choose between a golden-ratio room with hard surfaces and a single subwoofer or a square room with panel dampers and multisubs, I'd choose the latter. So you can work with a square room or one with 2:1 dimensions if that's what you've got.

Re: The shape of the room [message #88947 is a reply to message #88932] Sat, 06 October 2018 04:57 Go to previous message
mamoss is currently offline  mamoss
Master

Wayne Parham wrote on Wed, 03 October 2018 13:03
The ideal room is outdoors, because there are no walls or ceiling to act as reflectors. Obviously, that's not an option so next best thing would be a very large, well-damped room having randomly contoured walls with no large flat surfaces. That's probably not an option either so the next best thing that's reasonable is a room that is well-damped and has no dimensions that are integral ratios of another.

Most times, you have to work with what you have. But damping and multisubs really help smooth room modes. If I had to choose between a golden-ratio room with hard surfaces and a single subwoofer or a square room with panel dampers and multisubs, I'd choose the latter. So you can work with a square room or one with 2:1 dimensions if that's what you've got.

What I have gathered from this is that you can work with whatever space you have and make the best out of it by making the necessary adjustments. I guess outdoor spaces work well because there are no echoes and sound reflections.
Previous Topic: Easy way to stop an echo in a large room?
Next Topic: The size of the room
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 20:17:02 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout