Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 3 Pi plans
3 Pi plans [message #86772] Thu, 14 December 2017 02:01 Go to next message
Mabob is currently offline  Mabob
Chancellor
Hi Wayne

Found your excellent website! It has a ton of information for any noob DIY speaker builder like myself Very Happy

I´d like to build something that is an update from my Beta 12CX coaxials with APT50 drivers. The Pi 3 seem like a good candidate, so can I have the 3 Pi plans please.

Trying to stay on a tight budget so I´ll start off with the Delta 12LF and PSD2002 drivers. The waveguide will be a problem since I´m situated in Europe. I´ll have to start with something like a JBL 338800-1 / Dayton H6512... Don´t know what this will do to the sound?

Thanks for sharing your wast knowledge!

Mathias
Re: 3 Pi plans [message #86775 is a reply to message #86772] Thu, 14 December 2017 08:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

You've got mail!

You'll want to use our H290C waveguide. The design calls for it. But you can source all other components locally.

Re: 3 Pi plans [message #86782 is a reply to message #86772] Thu, 14 December 2017 16:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tubemax is currently offline  tubemax
Baron
Hi Mabob,

Please listen to Wayne, you definitely need to get original horns from him, without it is not going to be a Pi 3 speaker at all, as it's crossover is fully based on H290C acoustic response!
So, if you can, do it correctly from the start-up to avoid wasting double money later on...

Best way to get Horns is to set-up account by cheaper forwarder ( I did it by Myus.com ) and ship way cheaper than usual shipping rates by Pi speakers.
Horns shipped from Wayne to USA forwarder where this summer 115,- Euro + shipping costs of forwarder to Europe ( about ± 30,- Euro ) so in total about ± 145,- Euro for one pair of H290C horns - not bad!

Also, very important, if possible try to order as well 2 x 100 WATT 8 Ohm power resistors from Wayne or Parts-express as this specific part is nowhere to be found in Europe!

Good luck with your new project, I'm almost ready with mine... Razz
Re: 3 Pi plans [message #86864 is a reply to message #86782] Sat, 23 December 2017 14:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Hello Tubemax

Thanks for your input and yes I understand the importance of using the specified waveguides. What elements are you using in your build?

Not too bad if it's possible to have them shipped for around 150€. My biggest concern now is if these will be overkill for my garage. The acoustics are probably quite bad (concrete floor, plasterboard walls and ceiling) Would it be wiser to just go with a econowave design and get a dirt cheap waveguide like Dayton H6512, PSD2002 driver and a Delta 12LFA?

If I go down the cheap path, I'll probably regret it... Then again if I order Waynes H290C, I might as well build PI4s since I have the room to accommodate them. Decisions decisions...
Re: 3 Pi plans [message #86870 is a reply to message #86772] Sat, 23 December 2017 18:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Hi Mathias,

I'm already using upgraded B&C DE250 driver with upgraded cross-over's with thicker coils, metal film resistors and quality Jantzen capacitors. Delta 12LFA is pretty good sounding driver but I guess a upgraded woofer would be a even better sounding unit in the future upgrade path.

I was thinking about 4Pi initially but abandoned idea due to the driver costs ( 440,- Euro for just one new JBL 2226 ) and the fact that is not going low enough in the frequency extension - which means you will need one subwoofer per channel as well.

Also, after a week of brake-in period, both drivers are just starting to loose a little bit and woofer is really going very deep - almost hitting 30Hz in the room response but still remaining tight, composed and in control - I like it!
Combination of H290C horn and B&C 250 driver is phenomenal - just smooth, relaxed and never biting - really high grade sound and totally unlike any other horn or dome tweeter I ever listened to in my life.

But, I have another problem which is unfolding - WAF factor.

It's so bad that I may need to loose Pi's and sell them ( wether complete or in the parts ) or face every day fight over why I made so big speakers in our small room... they do look and sound big but not everybody understands this... Sad

I did not see this coming and it feels like a cold shower at the moment... Confused
Re: 3 Pi plans [message #86894 is a reply to message #86870] Wed, 27 December 2017 16:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Hi Max

Checked your build thread, very nice!!!

I won't be running any subs so its great to hear that they go low. Don't know what it'll be in my space since it's about 60m2 and has a 3.5m ceiling height...

Too bad that the wife don't like your beautiful speakers ☹️. Would definitely have the same issue if I tried to bring big ones into the living room.

I blame the bloody design magazines which are filled with white small speakers in sterile white rooms 🤔.

Ok, need to start gathering parts for my build. Won't happen overnight but I'll get there! Btw Strange that a simple thing like the resistor can't be found in Europe?
Re: 3 Pi plans [message #86895 is a reply to message #86772] Wed, 27 December 2017 16:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Hi Mathias,

Thanks, well after two weeks of breaking-in, they continue to go deeper and stronger in the bass range, also playing a lot better on low level now. They are definitely stellar speakers with huge sound but WAF factor is merciless so they are going for sale now.
I have send you a private e-mail with details if you are interested...

Yes, brain washing in the magazines is to blame for, I agree!

Best regards...
Re: 3 Pi plans [message #88907 is a reply to message #86772] Sat, 29 September 2018 18:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=2253&private=0

Hi folks!

I'm going to wake this old post back to life.

Long story short, what happened was that for about nine months ago
I purchased the 3Pi kit from tubemax for a very decent price. Big
Thank you to tubemax for handling the the packaging and shipping from
The Netherlands like a pro!

It's been a slow long build alongside more important and urgent stuff.
(What could be more important than your favourite hobby? Evil or Very Mad )

Since the crossovers were already built, the only thing left for me
To do was to build the cabinets. I had a good browse around the web to
Find a cabinet design that pleaseed me.

I think the Pi3 cabinets are quite wide and the bass driver being "only" a 12" I've found it be a bit out of proportion. I would say that the Pi4 with a 15" looks way better.

So what I did to make it look slimmer was to give the baffle generously rounded corners which will be coloured differently from the straight surface... The colour scheme is still to be decided on, but it might be a black baffle with walnut colouring on the rest of the boxes.

The looks are of course important, but what really matters is sound quality Very Happy
I've had the half finished speakers up and running for a few days now. With only a few hours of listening there's been both smiles and a few questionmarks...

I'll tune back in as soon as I have had some more proper listening time Cool
Re: 3 Pi plans [message #88920 is a reply to message #88907] Sun, 30 September 2018 21:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Your speakers look great! Can't wait to see them finished. Do keep us posted please.

Re: 3 Pi plans [message #88941 is a reply to message #88920] Fri, 05 October 2018 12:20 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
drake is currently offline  drake
Master

Wayne Parham wrote on Sun, 30 September 2018 21:44
Your speakers look great! Can't wait to see them finished. Do keep us posted please.

I have to agree with Wayne that they look really great and the finished product would definitely be worth checking out. I do hope that I can be able to design such a thing from scratch because it would save on costs.
Previous Topic: 2 Pi completed
Next Topic: Pi
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 05:03:48 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout