Home » Audio » Room Acoustics » Sound masking vs sound absorption
Sound masking vs sound absorption [message #88900] Thu, 27 September 2018 13:19 Go to next message
sawyer25 is currently offline  sawyer25
Master
These two terms are used interchangeably when talking about acoustic treatment but their application can be confusing. What is the main difference and is it important to consider the difference when looking to improve room acoustics?
Re: Sound masking vs sound absorption [message #88999 is a reply to message #88900] Thu, 11 October 2018 09:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Recently I replaced some old flimsy curtains with some insulated ones. They stand out from the window more also. I think it has really enhanced the quality of sound within the room, seems there's more detail with the music. Curtains I found out aren't all that cheap, even all the peripheral hardware is expensive. I saved money by making the curtain rods out of electrical conduit and spray paint with wooden drawer knobs screwed to a dowel and just press fit on the end's. Something to consider with a spouse that would roll their eyes at the notion of acoustic panels all over the walls.
Re: Sound masking vs sound absorption [message #89003 is a reply to message #88900] Thu, 11 October 2018 18:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jazzy is currently offline  Jazzy
Viscount
Based on the terminology used, sound masking is like a sound filtering. I think this is similar to the thin foam placed over the microphone, or the cloth screen between the singer and the microphone when recording in a studio.

Sound absorption can be what Rusty has described.
Re: Sound masking vs sound absorption [message #90011 is a reply to message #89003] Fri, 05 April 2019 09:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Madison is currently offline  Madison
Grand Master
Rusty, did you use thermal insulated curtains such as the kind that are supposed to help with energy efficiency? Or did you use some other specialty curtain that mainly targets sound? Your project sounds cool. I'm glad to hear it turned out well.
Re: Sound masking vs sound absorption [message #90078 is a reply to message #90011] Wed, 10 April 2019 09:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
They were called room darkening curtains. They have some insulating material to them sandwiched in. Got them at Costco on sale. The curtains would have been cheaper than the hardware to hang them if I hadn't hit upon using the conduit pipe. That's where they get you in the pocket book.
Re: Sound masking vs sound absorption [message #90685 is a reply to message #88900] Sun, 14 July 2019 10:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Reggie is currently offline  Reggie
Baron
Can we use styrofoam to absorb sound? What other materials, except curtains, can be used to absorb sound? Theaters have carpeted walls, do carpets absorb sound better than curtains?
Re: Sound masking vs sound absorption [message #91147 is a reply to message #90685] Tue, 12 November 2019 21:44 Go to previous message
Kingfish is currently offline  Kingfish
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Comforters might work, Reggie. Very Happy And if you want to go all out, shag carpeting.

Soft and thick is what you need to keep in mind when thinking about sound dampening.
Previous Topic: Acoustics in exposed brick and metal room
Next Topic: Soundproofing a room
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 09:42:25 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout