Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Used JBL2226H, good/bad idea? (Any advice or cautions about used JBL2226H for a 4Pi?)
Used JBL2226H, good/bad idea? [message #88888] Wed, 26 September 2018 16:31 Go to next message
mark_ivan is currently offline  mark_ivan
Esquire
Hello

Planning to build a set of 4Pi and perhaps some subs.

Trying to keep costs in mind, I am looking at used JBL2226H.

There are a pair locally on Kijiji so will test to ensure that they're alive, don't have obvious physical damage to the cone, spider etc..

Does anyone have any warnings or cautions they could share on buying these drivers used?

There are a ton out there second hand, presumably because of their widespread use in professional PA, and I don't know a sure way to tell if they're re-coned or not...

Thanks!
Re: Used JBL2226H, good/bad idea? [message #88890 is a reply to message #88888] Wed, 26 September 2018 19:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
johnnycamp5 is currently offline  johnnycamp5
Grand Master
Most original JBL cones (and re-cone kits) have a pulp looking texture on the back side of them.
Also most are marked with a yellow or white crayon (keel) on the backside (JBL 2226H).

For use in two-way speakers, It used to be suggested to use official JBL re-cones.
Some other re-cone kits (non JBL) had a measured dip in the midrange frequency response.
If I recall corectly, in the range of +- 800Hz.

That's right in the wheelhouse of a 4pi.

You should probably try to make sure if they have been re-coned, they used genuine JBL re-cones.

icon14.gif  Re: Used JBL2226H, good/bad idea? [message #88891 is a reply to message #88890] Wed, 26 September 2018 19:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mark_ivan is currently offline  mark_ivan
Esquire
Interesting, thanks for the info.

I saw the write-up at the link below (particularly the difference in the reconed impedance characteristics compared to a reasonable sampling of original cones) and it started to make me wonder if used and reconed was a worthwhile gamble.

http://diygeezer.com/aftermarket-recone-kit-review/
Re: Used JBL2226H, good/bad idea? [message #88904 is a reply to message #88888] Sat, 29 September 2018 08:36 Go to previous message
blvdre is currently offline  blvdre
Baron
The OEM Cone Kit should have 71649-02 stamped on the back of the cone (white ink on mine). You might have to search a bit for it.
Previous Topic: Questions on 2Pi tower build
Next Topic: 3Pi & 3Pi Sub Plans request
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 18:08:43 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout