Home » Audio » Home Theater » Carpet In Home Theater
Carpet In Home Theater [message #88686] Wed, 15 August 2018 01:45 Go to next message
Junior is currently offline  Junior
Viscount
Most theaters, if not all, have carpeted flooring. Can we have the same sound quality if we place a carpet in our home theater? I'm satisfied with my home theater setup, but I can upgrade.
Re: Carpet In Home Theater [message #88837 is a reply to message #88686] Mon, 17 September 2018 11:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mamoss is currently offline  mamoss
Master
I stand corrected but I think having a right floor has a big impact on the sound quality and overall experience. Not only does a carpet give some comfort; it is also good in sound absorption, unlike when you have a hard surface leading to sound bouncing back and forth.
Re: Carpet In Home Theater [message #88840 is a reply to message #88837] Wed, 19 September 2018 04:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
What you said is what I was thinking, and this is why I asked this inquiry. In my own simple mind, the carpet will filter out the sound and make the sound into a better quality.

Is there a specific type of carpet that is best for this kind of thing?
Re: Carpet In Home Theater [message #88843 is a reply to message #88686] Wed, 19 September 2018 11:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sawyer25 is currently offline  sawyer25
Master
There are specific carpets that are designed for this and they differ in cost, based on quality. I once checked and the cheapest one was going for approximately $150 but I know that you could use some DIY skills to come up with something unique and save on the overall cost.
Re: Carpet In Home Theater [message #88887 is a reply to message #88686] Wed, 26 September 2018 07:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Malfoy is currently offline  Malfoy
Viscount
I don't think that the carpet type will make a big difference. From my understanding with my reading in this forum, sound quality can be affected by many factors, including the curtains, the furniture, the wall, the carpet, and even the coffee table.
Re: Carpet In Home Theater [message #88889 is a reply to message #88887] Wed, 26 September 2018 18:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
johnnycamp5 is currently offline  johnnycamp5
Grand Master
Malfoy wrote on Wed, 26 September 2018 08:05
I don't think that the carpet type will make a big difference. From my understanding with my reading in this forum, sound quality can be affected by many factors, including the curtains, the furniture, the wall, the carpet, and even the coffee table.
Another factor not mentioned here-
more often than not, effecting the quality of sound in almost every typical residential room.....
is the ceiling.
Re: Carpet In Home Theater [message #88913 is a reply to message #88889] Sun, 30 September 2018 10:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mamoss is currently offline  mamoss
Master
johnnycamp5 wrote on Wed, 26 September 2018 18:46
Malfoy wrote on Wed, 26 September 2018 08:05
Another factor not mentioned here-
more often than not, effecting the quality of sound in almost every typical residential room.....
is the ceiling.
Well, in this case then, it seems that sound quality is determined by many factors, but just looking at one aspect will not sort the whole thing. I have never thought about the ceiling having an impact; seems I will have to research more on this!
Re: Carpet In Home Theater [message #88914 is a reply to message #88686] Sun, 30 September 2018 11:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Malfoy is currently offline  Malfoy
Viscount
What Johnny said is correct that the sound quality will also be affected by the ceiling. Now it makes me think how the ceiling will affect the sound. What is the recommended height of the ceiling so the sound quality of the speakers will be better?
Re: Carpet In Home Theater [message #88936 is a reply to message #88686] Fri, 05 October 2018 04:07 Go to previous message
Viscount
Good points everyone. However, I can only upgrade or enhance one factor at a time and that is the carpet. I will consider upgrading the other factors later on when I have enough budget for them.
Previous Topic: Add-ons and accessories
Next Topic: Dark Setting
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 13:31:23 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout