Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » 300b vs 2A3
300b vs 2A3 [message #8841] Thu, 03 March 2005 16:07 Go to next message
jim denton is currently offline  jim denton
Master
Gentlemen, I want to venture into the land of BIg Tube Amps---and have been looking/lurking around at 300b or 2A3 type tubed amp--any advice ---what ever I get will drive single frd speakers and some soon to be builtd horns (for my new FE168 sigmas) I have found some decent DIY and a killer used amp that was imported by Sophia for a while -----found a nice looking 2A3 making a whooping 3.5 Wpc which I dearly love ---guess query is how much diff is there for a beginner Jim

Re: 300b vs 2A3 [message #8842 is a reply to message #8841] Fri, 04 March 2005 20:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Poindexter is currently offline  Poindexter
Viscount
It is not an adversary relationship.  The major difference in implementation is that a 300B will give you about three times the amount of max (practical, what-have-you) power out.

If I would characterize the 'sounds' of the devices according to my experience:

300B; romantic, lush. If a fault, histrionic.

2A3; clear, clean, tight. If a fault, dry.

But; it all depends. On the amp, the pre, the source, the speaks.

You said you have FE168Sigmas. Which ones; the new ones with the Escherian/Fullerian cone/surround/cap, or the older model with the exponential cone and whiz?

Poinz

Re: 300b vs 2A3 [message #8882 is a reply to message #8842] Mon, 04 April 2005 18:40 Go to previous message
Thatch_Ear is currently offline  Thatch_Ear
Chancellor
Besides the watts there is also an issue of filament volts with the 300B being 5 and the 2A3 being 2.5. I don't know if that is the reason but I have noticed more of a humm with no signal from 300Bs and a difference in 300Bs as well. My TJ mesh plates which are to my ears my best sounding 300Bs also have the most humm. I don't hear when music is playing, but between pieces you can hear it.
I have not had a 2A3 amp in my system, but I have heard a number in audio meets, shows, showrooms, etc.
I agree on the dry but with both tubes what you get out will depend a lot on the driver you use. I have a 6SL7 SRPP and what sounds best is RCA VT-229s which also have the least gain of the ones I tried, but by far the quietest soundstage.

Previous Topic: Continental Capacitor type A oil capacitor info wanted?
Next Topic: Schematic for Heath AA-11?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 04:32:30 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout