Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » Continental Capacitor type A oil capacitor info wanted?
Continental Capacitor type A oil capacitor info wanted? [message #8863] Sat, 12 March 2005 18:56 Go to next message
Norris Wilson is currently offline  Norris Wilson
Grand Master
Does anyone have any information for the Continental type A oil filled capacitors? They are suggested as a good filter capacitors for power supply use.

Re: Continental Capacitor type A oil capacitor info wanted? [message #8864 is a reply to message #8863] Wed, 16 March 2005 17:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I agree with that website's recommendation of Michael Percy Audio. He's pretty busy, but he's a nice guy and he has a lot of experience with various components.

But you know how it is. On one hand, capacitors are just two plates separated by an insulator. On the other hand, there's chemistry and electrostatics involved, and that makes them all imperfect in different ways. Depending on the interactions with other things in the circuit, some imperfections are more damning than others. Your best part really depends on the application.

Really, I like foil in oil, paper or plastic for signal caps, and metalized film for the larger values. But none of these are usually an option for power supply caps. The values just get too large. So that's where the dreaded electrolytics become attractive. Black Gate, Nichicon or Cerafine might be more in line with what you want. Keep those nice foil in oil caps for the signal path.

Then again, if you have the room for them and don't need large capacitance, give 'em a try. Let us know how they sound to you.

Re: Continental Capacitor type A oil capacitor info wanted? [message #8865 is a reply to message #8864] Fri, 18 March 2005 05:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
Thanks Wayne for your insight.
I was really leaning a little more towards feedback about the Continental Capacitor oil caps for power supply filtering than anything.
As with anything in this world, there is no absolute, especially since everyone has different prospectives based on their personal taste, experience and perceptions.
I guess I will have to go straight to the manufacturer of the oil capacitors for information.
I have tried many of the boutique capcitors for coupling and have found some differences in their sonic impact of the circuit where implimented.
But, some people claim that there is no sonic difference between coupling capacitors of similar construction and materials used.
Go figure!
Norris

Re: Continental Capacitor type A oil capacitor info wanted? [message #8866 is a reply to message #8865] Fri, 18 March 2005 10:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Hi Norris,

I noticed that Michael Elliott mentioned he liked the Continental caps for power supplies, so there's one positive reference. What I was trying to say is that generally, for power supplies, I prefer the added capacitance that electrolytics bring to the table. That's why I mentioned Black Gate, Nichicon and Cerafine. They're all current production, fairly inexpensive and high quality. They're not your average electrolytic, and some compare them to polypropylenes.

On the other hand, for supplies that don't have large current requirements, large values of capacitance aren't required. I've worked on some tube circuits that only really needed 20uF capacitance in the power supply. That's low enough that you can use capacitors other than electrolytics.

Some of these parts are tens, even hundreds of dollars for a single capacitor. So that's something to think about. And if power supply ripple is a problem, you need big values so a ten dollar premium electrolytic might be better than a hundred dollar foil in oil or polypropylene cap. That's the point I wanted to make.

Wayne

Thanks Waye, I got it! (nt) [message #8867 is a reply to message #8866] Fri, 18 March 2005 19:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
nt

Re: Continental Capacitor type A oil capacitor info wanted? [message #8880 is a reply to message #8866] Mon, 04 April 2005 18:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thatch_Ear is currently offline  Thatch_Ear
Chancellor

Just to give you an idea of the size of the old oil caps here is a pic of a 15 uF cap. These things were most often made to handle over 1,000 volts so they quite large.

Re: Continental Capacitor type A oil capacitor info wanted? [message #8881 is a reply to message #8880] Mon, 04 April 2005 18:30 Go to previous message
Thatch_Ear is currently offline  Thatch_Ear
Chancellor
Here is a very good filter cap for the size and money but you will have to use 1 or more per stage since they come in 30 uF.

Previous Topic: Eastern Electric Gear
Next Topic: 300b vs 2A3
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 15:26:55 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout