Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » New Project Coming for Diyers who like Triodes
New Project Coming for Diyers who like Triodes [message #88786] Fri, 07 September 2018 16:46 Go to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Hi Everyone, I'm in the building process for a class A push-pull triode amp using 6AS7s. Target is 10 watts. It might deliver as much as 14-15 though. I'm waiting on transformers right now. I hope to post the info in about 4-6 weeks. I hear from good sources that the 6AS7 is a really nice tube and makes really nice sounding amps. We shall see. This particular amp is actually a hybrid with a digital front end and remote control. It does have the option to operate directly from a line stage though.

For those of you not familiar with the tube it is a dual triode. Low (under 250) voltage, high current (about 125ma each triode) low gain (2 ugh!) and has a dissipation of 13 watts per triode octal tube. Definitely a different thing for me since most of my designs are running about 450VDC.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: New Project Coming for Diyers who like Triodes [message #88787 is a reply to message #88786] Fri, 07 September 2018 17:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently online  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Wow, Bruce, that's exciting news! Can't wait to see your next post about this new design!

Re: New Project Coming for Diyers who like Triodes [message #88796 is a reply to message #88786] Sat, 08 September 2018 14:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
johnnycamp5 is currently offline  johnnycamp5
Master
Awesome!

So its SRPP....like your other amplifier designs?

I built your mono blocks "kt88's" and they serve as my everyday amps. I've never had anything better for my taste.

All my other amps sit on standby lol.
Re: New Project Coming for Diyers who like Triodes [message #88798 is a reply to message #88796] Sat, 08 September 2018 16:01 Go to previous message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Hi, Yes it does use a SRPP driver. I'm glad you like the KT88 amps. The configuration has proved quite well for over 10 years now. They are not the most powerful amps as all class A U/L amps are pretty inefficient, but IMO they sound far better than many others that have different designs and are seeking more power output.

Good Listening
Bruce
Previous Topic: Western Electric 80th anniversary "300B" tube
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Sep 25 09:03:15 CDT 2018

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers