Home » Audio » Source » Keeping Up With New Products
Keeping Up With New Products [message #88724] Fri, 24 August 2018 10:46 Go to next message
Kingfish is currently offline  Kingfish
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Concerning turntables, do you keep up with the latest models and advancements coming out? Ever since the resurgance in popularity of vinyl, the turntable market has ramped up their marketing.
Re: Keeping Up With New Products [message #88732 is a reply to message #88724] Sat, 25 August 2018 17:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, I do, but unless you want to pay really large dollars, there are vintage ones that are equal or better. IMO an entry level turntable that will be as good as main stream ones of the 70's is not available for under about $1000. True hi-fi performance in the vinyl medium is not cheap. It is true that a lot of vintage stuff was marginal as well...but then we are only considering high quality gear. My first "new" turntable about 4 years back was Pro-ject DB III. Not a bad player, just it ranks 5th out of the 6 I own. All the others are vintage ones. Number 6 cost me $20 at a thrift shop and with a bit of improvements might move up to 5th place. A basic issue with most inexpensive new ones is speed stability, followed closely by general mechanical construction. What $3-500 bought back then would cost thousands to duplicate now. So a turntable in that price range now would be at the bottom of the heap back then.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Keeping Up With New Products [message #88735 is a reply to message #88732] Sun, 26 August 2018 09:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Gofar nails it. Many of the new turntable gear today are just riding the crest. And they're following a formula that Rega made famous. A slab of mdf with a motor, platter and tonearm. Components of varying quality of construction. And the new direct drive clones of the legendary 1200. All inferior in specification and quality control. The tables of old were of a time when it was the defacto medium and r&d was a continuous process.
Re: Keeping Up With New Products [message #88793 is a reply to message #88724] Sat, 08 September 2018 12:03 Go to previous message
The Noise is currently offline  The Noise
Master
You would think that after all these years of technical know-how in the turntable industry they would have higher quality products for a more fair price.

Commitment to quality is what is sub-par in my opinion.
Previous Topic: Cleaning The Vinyl
Next Topic: Music Streaming
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 08:45:09 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout