Home » Audio » General » Too Much Vibration
Too Much Vibration [message #88679] Sun, 12 August 2018 13:07 Go to next message
Jazzy is currently offline  Jazzy
Viscount
What happens to the body when it's exposed to loud music for a long time? I know it can damage the hearing, but what about the other parts of the body when it is subjected to too much sound vibration?
Re: Too Much Vibration [message #88680 is a reply to message #88679] Sun, 12 August 2018 15:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, A funny question. Rolling Eyes I suppose if it is intense enough you could cause local heating. However, I doubt seriously that anyone has ever been so exposed. The sound level would have to be huge. Confused

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Too Much Vibration [message #88691 is a reply to message #88680] Thu, 16 August 2018 02:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
gofar99 wrote on Sun, 12 August 2018 15:47
Hi, A funny question. Rolling Eyes

Indeed, it is funny. However, it can be a serious matter as well. People in the old days find it funny when some will say that smoking can kill you. I think nobody has studied the effect of too much vibration for internal organs.
Re: Too Much Vibration [message #88694 is a reply to message #88679] Thu, 16 August 2018 09:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
An interesting article on NASA's approach to minimize launch noise from destroying their new spacecraft.
https://interestingengineering.com/nasa-sound-suppression-system-prevents-rocket-from-exploding
Re: Too Much Vibration [message #88696 is a reply to message #88694] Fri, 17 August 2018 02:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
Rusty wrote on Thu, 16 August 2018 09:03
An interesting article on NASA's approach to minimize launch noise from destroying their new spacecraft.
https://interestingengineering.com/nasa-sound-suppression-system-prevents-rocket-from-exploding

This principle of converting sound energy into heat energy is simply amazing. There is always something we can learn every day. The article mentioned that the bubbles absorbed the energy. Is that the reason for the white cloud of smoke when the space shuttle lifts off?
Re: Too Much Vibration [message #88703 is a reply to message #88679] Mon, 20 August 2018 22:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Junior is currently offline  Junior
Viscount
This is amazing because I never thought about the sound energy more powerful than the heat energy produced by the engines. The explanation in the article was clear that the white smoke produced during liftoff is the steam from the water.
Re: Too Much Vibration [message #88705 is a reply to message #88679] Tue, 21 August 2018 16:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AudioFred is currently offline  AudioFred
Illuminati (1st Degree)
One treatment for kidney stones is extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy (ESWL). ESWL uses sound waves to create strong vibrations (shock waves) that break the stones into tiny pieces that can be passed in the patient's urine. The procedure lasts about 45 to 60 minutes and can cause moderate pain, so sedation is often used.

Some kidney stone patients who couldn't afford ESWL exposed themselves to rap music at extremely high sound pressure levels instead. This had no effect on their kidney stones, but it destroyed their brains, so they no longer felt pain, or anything else. Laughing

Re: Too Much Vibration [message #88706 is a reply to message #88705] Tue, 21 August 2018 17:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

"Brains fried from loud rap music." Laughing

I wasn't going to chime-in on this thread, but now I feel we've reached my level and so I can be comfortable with my comment:

Loud bass might make a brown note.

../images/Wow.jpg
Re: Too Much Vibration [message #88710 is a reply to message #88679] Wed, 22 August 2018 16:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
johnnycamp5 is currently offline  johnnycamp5
Grand Master
Laughing
Re: Too Much Vibration [message #88711 is a reply to message #88706] Wed, 22 August 2018 20:23 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
AudioFred is currently offline  AudioFred
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Wayne Parham wrote on Tue, 21 August 2018 17:27

"Brains fried from loud rap music." Laughing

I wasn't going to chime-in on this thread, but now I feel we've reached my level and so I can be comfortable with my comment:

Loud bass might make a brown note.

../images/Wow.jpg

Wayne Parham's pro subwoofers do that all the time, but only when they're driven by a Schiit amplifier. http://www.schiit.com/products/ragnarok
Previous Topic: NPR on Audio Quality
Next Topic: Forum Problems
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Mar 18 22:33:22 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout