Home » Audio » Movies & Music » Help me understand jazz!
Help me understand jazz! [message #88277] Sat, 30 June 2018 08:40 Go to next message
Musique is currently offline  Musique
Chancellor
Can anybody help me to understand the charm of jazz music? Many of my friends like it so much that they go to several jazz festivals while I'm here feeling confused by myself. From what I can remember, the music feels too repetitive and boring for me. Did I check the wrong ones?
Re: Help me understand jazz! [message #88310 is a reply to message #88277] Tue, 03 July 2018 12:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kingfish is currently offline  Kingfish
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Maybe. Can you name names? Norah Jones is classified as jazz, and this is the kind of jazz I like. Like a slow pop song with a different tempo and beat with more soul in the voice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBseZ6y7hDQ

I just find it very relaxing.
Re: Help me understand jazz! [message #88329 is a reply to message #88277] Wed, 04 July 2018 20:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Floyd is currently offline  Floyd
Chancellor
Try listening to some Duke Ellington, Woody Herman, Artie Shaw, Count Basie, Billie Holiday, Ella Fitzgerald, and Sarah Vaughan. These are all jazz greats, though no longer contemporary. They might serve as the introduction that you need to this genre of music.

I think if you just put some of these names into YouTube it will bring up some examples of their work. Happy Listening!
Re: Help me understand jazz! [message #88334 is a reply to message #88277] Thu, 05 July 2018 09:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Jazz is like any other music in that it can either move you or bore you. And there are many jazz styles from say Dixieland to Bop and Fusion and many more. It's a wonderful art form that is loosing ground steadily in our culture. No music collection is complete without it, at least for me. I'd try to listen to a variety of different styles to see if you find one that piques your interest. Expand your horizon's!
Re: Help me understand jazz! [message #88338 is a reply to message #88277] Thu, 05 July 2018 10:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JazzHog is currently offline  JazzHog
Baron
If you think you might be into hearing a really good drummer, then you could check out Buddy Rich.

The place to go and hear jazz in London back in the day was Ronnie Scott's in Soho, but if you don't happen to be in London, I think you will find that most major cities have a jazz club, or a jazz bar, where you can go and hear contemporary jazz music.
Re: Help me understand jazz! [message #88342 is a reply to message #88277] Thu, 05 July 2018 11:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Musique is currently offline  Musique
Chancellor
Thank you all for the help!

Kingfish, sometimes I listen to Norah Jones, but I didn't consider her style as jazz. That song you linked is different from Sarah Vaughan's Misty, for example. Misty is great, but I can't imagine listening to that kind of slow beat and slow pull too often.

JazzHog, I'll keep your suggestion in mind for when I feel more comfortable to explore the genre. At this point, I'm still exploring YouTube to find something I like.
Re: Help me understand jazz! [message #88356 is a reply to message #88342] Fri, 06 July 2018 12:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
What kind of music do you normally like and listen to? There's loud dynamic styles of jazz and slow intimate kinds too. For instance, if you like in general, rock & roll, then, fusion is a jazz that kind of melded the two. Stanley Clarke's Journey To Love is a good example.
Concerto for Jazz Rock Orchestra
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tk7UfqKEKKA
Or Weather Report, Birdland
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ae0nwSv6cTU
Like soul music?
Rusty Bryant with Charles Earland on Hammond B3
Cold Duck Time
https://www.google.com/search?q=rusty+bryant+cold+duck+time&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS800US800&oq=rusty+bryant+cold&aqs=chrome.0.0j69i57.11846j1j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
Remember, Jazz and Blues spawned just about everything we call modern music. It's incredibly diverse and unique.
Re: Help me understand jazz! [message #88466 is a reply to message #88277] Wed, 18 July 2018 16:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Floyd is currently offline  Floyd
Chancellor
Musique, if you have access to BBC Radio 2, there is a really good programme on on jazz at 8pm on Tuesday nights. It is presented by Jamie Cullum, who is a jazz aficionado.

I was driving through South London last night listening to Radio 2 and it just came on. I didn't know about this programme before. Jamie started off with a bit of Count Basie, and then moved on to more contemporary jazz. The progrmme seems like a good introduction for anyone who is trying to get into jazz.
Re: Help me understand jazz! [message #88659 is a reply to message #88277] Fri, 10 August 2018 06:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lindzz is currently offline  Lindzz
Chancellor
I've sat through many jazz sets and I enjoy it as background music but I definitely cannot look at it for too long or I'll get bored. I feel like my musician friends can enjoy it more than me because as I understand it's usually like a jam session. I guess you either love it or just are confused.
Re: Help me understand jazz! [message #88660 is a reply to message #88659] Fri, 10 August 2018 10:08 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Quote:
I feel like my musician friends can enjoy it more than me because as I understand it's usually like a jam session. I guess you either love it or just are confused.

That's a key point really, they can appreciate the musicianship and skill to make this improvisational music. Jazz is I suppose a more cerebral type of music where the listener is more involved with the subtle nuances being teased out by the musicians artistry with their instruments.
Which as you say some love it and some get bored. I'd off hand think that pop oriented listeners fit the latter category to some degree. Everyone seems to have an innate sense of musical appreciation, which can change over their lifetime. I was once rather neutral to jazz, but, I came to really enjoy it. But at that, not all styles of jazz though. As for example, smooth jazz, (Kenny G, Boney James etc) cause a retching reflex in me. makes me shiver. Elevator jazz I call it.
Previous Topic: Royalty free music
Next Topic: What's the most you've spent on live music?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 08:05:35 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio