Home » xyzzy » Tower » How closely do you follow politics?
Re: How closely do you follow politics? [message #88268 is a reply to message #88265] Fri, 29 June 2018 09:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently online  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Oh, maybe Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid. A different time, when people had more influence in the political discourse. Before then, people had nothing.
Re: How closely do you follow politics? [message #88583 is a reply to message #87404] Sun, 05 August 2018 11:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lennix is currently offline  Lennix
Chancellor
I should follow it more because I know it's important. I just have a hard time doing so because I never feel like I'm getting the full story. Everyone seems to have an agenda, including the media. It's a lot of work and my friends never seem to care or notice biases in the stories they share.
Re: How closely do you follow politics? [message #88609 is a reply to message #88583] Tue, 07 August 2018 10:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I think your right. You have to work at trying to get a full fledged feel for the news. There's a lot of agenda's shaping what and how news is disseminated. I think the old adage, "follow the money" is a big part of the big picture. Also, I think people tend to take democracy for granted and are just making ends meet and don't have time or energy to root out what's going on. I think it's worth the effort though, if any worthwhile ideas can make it's way into the body politics.
Re: How closely do you follow politics? [message #88612 is a reply to message #87404] Tue, 07 August 2018 12:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JazzHog is currently offline  JazzHog
Baron
I follow politics fairly closely. I read the Guardian newspaper, (the website, or the app on my phone), and I watch BBC News 24 and Channel 4 News.

I also follow some current events on Twitter.

At the moment in Britain the news at the moment is very much about Brexit.
Re: How closely do you follow politics? [message #88614 is a reply to message #88612] Tue, 07 August 2018 13:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Here's something to pad your perspective by an Australian economist that has an informative blog, if interested. The Billy Blog, Bill Mitchell. Here are his comments under the heading Britain, (including Brexit):

http://bilbo.economicoutlook.net/blog/?cat=29
Re: How closely do you follow politics? [message #88615 is a reply to message #88609] Tue, 07 August 2018 23:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lennix is currently offline  Lennix
Chancellor
Rusty wrote on Tue, 07 August 2018 10:25
I think your right. You have to work at trying to get a full fledged feel for the news. There's a lot of agenda's shaping what and how news is disseminated. I think the old adage, "follow the money" is a big part of the big picture. Also, I think people tend to take democracy for granted and are just making ends meet and don't have time or energy to root out what's going on. I think it's worth the effort though, if any worthwhile ideas can make it's way into the body politics.

Exactly. Everything is just so politically charged and reduces things to an "us vs them" level and have no issues with presenting only part of a story. One of the reasons I like the magazine The Week is that they lay out the news of the week and talk about the views of each side.

Yeah, a lot of people don't have that time and energy. Like I said, I struggle with that. However, I don't go around vocalizing my opinions or sharing stories unless I do my homework.

It really is something I need to put more effort in. I like knowing what's going on in the world. I just hate everyone being at each other's throats. I wish we could override the two-party system.
Re: How closely do you follow politics? [message #88759 is a reply to message #87404] Mon, 03 September 2018 15:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kingfish is currently offline  Kingfish
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I follow politics as closely as I follow a hornets nest.

If I want to know what's going on in the higher levels of America and the world, just listen to political talking heads and know that it's the opposite of what they say.
Re: How closely do you follow politics? [message #88864 is a reply to message #87404] Sat, 22 September 2018 17:14 Go to previous message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Quote:
I follow politics as closely as I follow a hornets nest.
It does get tedious, especially around now with midterm elections getting close. It seems that ad agencies are the only means to choose candidates. Our country has only one party really. It's called neoliberalism. Wall street, (the banks), insurance co's., and the real estate sector run the country.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neoliberalism
Previous Topic: Phone can't connect to a MiFi device
Next Topic: The 5G technology
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 16:41:02 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers