Home » Audio » Movies & Music » Disappointing Concerts?
Re: Disappointing Concerts? [message #88567 is a reply to message #87622] Thu, 02 August 2018 09:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I went to see the band "Yes" in 1980, after they brought in members from the band "The Buggles." I had seen Yes before, and the differences was stark.

In my opinion, the musicians in "Yes" are some of the most talented musicians there are. They're all like Bachs and Beethovens, and their style is like that too - Classical, complex and orchestral.

The Buggles were more like the Cars or Devo. They were simplistic and sort of a cross between pop and punk.

So the blend seemed more unlikely than water and vinegar. It was the craziest thing I'd ever seen. They did not blend on stage at all. Steve Howe and Chris Squire performed flawlessly, and were their usual confident selves. But Geoff Downes looked like a clown, dancing around his Apple II computer, which actually played all the music for him. Quite a contrast between him and Rick Wakeman, who he replaced.

In truth, their studio album "Drama" was pretty good. When they were "behind the scenes," they made good music together. That part worked. And I hate "dissing" Geoff Downes - it's not fair to compare him to Rick Wakeman, because those are big shoes to fill. They had different styles, with Downes depending more on his midi programming than his hands-on keyboard skills.

But still, the blending of Yes and the Buggles seemed bizzare and their first concerts were shocking to loyal fans of Yes.

Re: Disappointing Concerts? [message #94800 is a reply to message #87622] Fri, 12 November 2021 22:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Spotifier is currently offline  Spotifier
Baron
Well, not a live experience, and I'm glad it isn't. But have you seen the news about Travis Scott's recent concert? So many people were dying, and the crowds were even protesting to stop the show because of it. Regardless of that, he continued to perform as if nothing was happening around him. The whole place was a danger zone.
Re: Disappointing Concerts? [message #94810 is a reply to message #87622] Sat, 13 November 2021 15:13 Go to previous message
LoveJB is currently offline  LoveJB
Master
Jewel was yodeling? Eek!
I went to a Ratt concert once and left two songs in. Thankfully they were the last act. All other concerts were amazing!
Honestly I've only been to 15 or so.
Previous Topic: Start-Up from Netflix
Next Topic: Favorite duets
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 11:57:03 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers