Home » Audio » Room Acoustics » Acoustic panels vs foams
Acoustic panels vs foams [message #88343] Thu, 05 July 2018 12:07 Go to next message
Musique is currently offline  Musique
Chancellor
I am thinking about improving the sound quality of my small bedroom. Mostly I want to keep the voice inside and stop the outside noise from coming in (though it doesn't get noisy very often). There are two big windows with thick curtains to cover them. In this kind of setting, which one between panels and foams should I choose?
Re: Acoustic panels vs foams [message #88345 is a reply to message #88343] Thu, 05 July 2018 15:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, My sense is that to cut the sound going in and out of windows something solid would do better than foam. You might be able to make some sort of interior shutters. Then you could open them to see in and out and close them to reduce the noise. Another possibility is to use some of the 2-3 inch thick construction foam used to insulate walls in new houses. Cut it to just fit loosely in the window opening and put a soft weatherstripping foam around the edge to make it fit snugly. You can cover it with fabric to make it more spouse friendly. Put in it to cut the sound, remove it and stow it out of sight when not needed.

Then again you could just brick up the windows. Very Happy

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Acoustic panels vs foams [message #88369 is a reply to message #88345] Sat, 07 July 2018 05:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Musique is currently offline  Musique
Chancellor
Let's not brick up the windows; I love the sight of my little garden every morning from my room! Very Happy

My room has some distance to the streets and other houses thanks to the garden. I don't think the neighbors or anyone passing by will hear loud noises from the house, but I want to prevent all kinds of complaints. Does it mean that a thick foam can block sound as good as a solid panel? Foams may be better aesthetically, but I'm not sure if it's worth investing in some.
Re: Acoustic panels vs foams [message #88493 is a reply to message #88343] Tue, 24 July 2018 03:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Groot is currently offline  Groot
Viscount
I recommend glass sliding windows if you don't have them yet. I have it in my room and it does a good job of barring the sound in or out of my room. You can still see the garden without the problem of disturbing the neighbor with the sounds you make in the room.
Re: Acoustic panels vs foams [message #88726 is a reply to message #88343] Fri, 24 August 2018 10:53 Go to previous message
Kingfish is currently offline  Kingfish
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Dual or triple pane windows are not only good for weather insulation, but sound insulation as well.

I'm more in favor of paneling in this case.
Previous Topic: 3 subs to setup
Next Topic: Easy way to stop an echo in a large room?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 05:17:22 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio