Home » Audio » Movies & Music » Is ska well liked in the US?
Is ska well liked in the US? [message #88491] Mon, 23 July 2018 12:28 Go to next message
JazzHog is currently offline  JazzHog
Baron
In the late 70's and early 80's in Britain, and other parts of Europe, there was a big upsurge of popularity for ska music. Ska seemed to originate around Coventry, England, and popular bands were The Specials, Madness, The Selecter, and other groups.

Ska had its origins in 1950's Jamaica, and so the British ska scene of the early eighties was regarded as "second wave" ska.

There has been a third wave of ska, but it seems a lot quieter than the second wave.

I just wondered if this music was popullar in the US as well.
Re: Is ska well liked in the US? [message #88497 is a reply to message #88491] Tue, 24 July 2018 09:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
There was a moderate interest from the bands you mentioned. Bob Marley seemed to be the defining artist representing Jamaican musical styles. Ska's not my preferred style, though I do like some of the old school Jamaican artists. I'm more of a rock steady, lover's rock fan. For me the 70's was the golden years for reggae. I thought there was a 60's uptick in Jamaican influence with the skin head movement in England? Love the song by the Pioneers, Long Shot Kick de Bucket.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3f7VK-7iotk
Re: Is ska well liked in the US? [message #88503 is a reply to message #88491] Tue, 24 July 2018 20:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
KrisHS is currently offline  KrisHS
Chancellor
I have some friends who are into ska music. Though most of them prefer the music from the first wave. The only person I know that really likes ska music is my husband. I don't think it's particularly popular here in general though, at least in the southeastern region of the US (I'm not counting Florida since they're a world all their own).
Re: Is ska well liked in the US? [message #88523 is a reply to message #88503] Wed, 25 July 2018 22:54 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Gwen Stefani and "No Doubt" were enormously popular in the late 1980s and 1990s. I still hear them on the radio from time to time, and Gwen Stefani still enjoys a great deal of fame.

Previous Topic: Superhero movies
Next Topic: Favorite Type of Music
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 02:59:35 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout