Home » Audio » Craftsmen » Cabinet for subwoofer.. bad idea?
Cabinet for subwoofer.. bad idea? [message #88453] Tue, 17 July 2018 07:47 Go to next message
TechFreakofNature is currently offline  TechFreakofNature
Chancellor
Hi everyone. First off: I'm not an expert builder, I've only built little things like spice racks, but I am looking to build a cabinet for my subwoofer. I do not like the look of it, so I hope that I can make it into something nicer, but I am wondering if this is a good idea at all or if it will mess with the sound too much (if I keep the front of it clear). I am open to suggestions about what materials are best or might even enhance the sound..? It's the Bose B1 Bass Module by the way.
Re: Cabinet for subwoofer.. bad idea? [message #88792 is a reply to message #88453] Sat, 08 September 2018 11:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Noise is currently offline  The Noise
Master
Why do you want it in a cabinet? I can see building a shelf for it, but I don't think a cabinet would look right. Or even sound right for that matter.
Re: Cabinet for subwoofer.. bad idea? [message #88795 is a reply to message #88792] Sat, 08 September 2018 12:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

If you want to build a subwoofer cabinet, my suggestion is to build a proven design. But don't just repackage a commercial product from a retail store because those are rarely very good. Get one of the popular DIY designs - One that has published performance data that proves its value.

Re: Cabinet for subwoofer.. bad idea? [message #88895 is a reply to message #88453] Thu, 27 September 2018 02:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jazzy is currently offline  Jazzy
Viscount
Wayne, are you saying that we build the cabinet from scratch with a popular design? What do you mean by "repackage a commercial product from a retail store"? Is buying a cabinet for the subwoofer a bad choice?
Re: Cabinet for subwoofer.. bad idea? [message #88898 is a reply to message #88895] Thu, 27 September 2018 13:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

What I'm saying is don't mount a woofer in a cabinet without knowing that the two work well together. The cabinet and woofer are a tuned system, and one affects the other. You can definitely mismatch them.

Subwoofers are pretty simple devices. So they're probably the easiest speaker system to get right. But you can get them wrong too. Just make sure.

If you don't know what to do to "match" the woofer with the box, search this forum.

Re: Cabinet for subwoofer.. bad idea? [message #88980 is a reply to message #88453] Wed, 10 October 2018 00:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jazzy is currently offline  Jazzy
Viscount
Oh, I thought you were mentioning about commercial cabinets compared to cabinets made from scratch. Does the type of wood affect the quality of the sound of the speaker?
Re: Cabinet for subwoofer.. bad idea? [message #88986 is a reply to message #88980] Wed, 10 October 2018 08:41 Go to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Use MDF or Baltic Birch.

Previous Topic: The Last Thing You Fixed
Next Topic: Type of Wood
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Mar 18 23:51:08 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio