Home » Audio » Source » What would you do with a load of old 78's?
What would you do with a load of old 78's? [message #88408] Mon, 09 July 2018 11:28 Go to next message
Floyd is currently offline  Floyd
Chancellor
Somehow or other, I have ended up being the family member who has taken on ownership of a load of old 78 rpm records. To begin with I was quite pleased, but now I'm thinking, what on earth do I do with them? I have a feeling that I ended up with these because the other family members wisely did not want to end up with these records as useless clutter!

Having had a look through, there seem to be a lot of Harry Roy records, along with other artists, and even some that look like novelty records of train sounds and the like.

The music that's on them is not really what I would normally listen to. I'm not really sure who would buy them, as people that would have grown up with this genre are not really around any more. I have wondered about converting them to digital.

Any ideas?
Re: What would you do with a load of old 78's? [message #88413 is a reply to message #88408] Mon, 09 July 2018 15:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Most vinyl lovers prefer 33RPM LP recordings. I'm one of them.

That said, there are plenty of rare 78RPM records and people do collect them. So if you're not interested in them, you might sell them on eBay. Do an internet search on each one, if you have time, to see if someone sold the same record and you can learn the value.

Re: What would you do with a load of old 78's? [message #88440 is a reply to message #88408] Sat, 14 July 2018 18:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Floyd is currently offline  Floyd
Chancellor
Hi Wayne, yes, I think that a lot of the better music is on 33rpm records. The 78rpm records are really going back in time, and the sound quality is not so good.

Thanks for the advice about selling on eBay, I think I may very well end up going down that route. However I know from experience that selling on eBay can be very time consuming, especially when you are researching the saleability of each individual item.
Re: What would you do with a load of old 78's? [message #88451 is a reply to message #88408] Mon, 16 July 2018 16:40 Go to previous message
JazzHog is currently offline  JazzHog
Baron
Talking about ending up with a load of records that nobody else is that keen to own, I seem to have ended up with a load of cassette tapes that my friends have discarded over the years. People offer them to me, and it's like I can't say no! Laughing

Of particular interest are the party mix tapes that people have put together, and various other compilations. I have one called "Is this weird music?" which is a collection of rather unusual punk, heavy rock, "industry music", and other music from Sweden in the 1980's. Through this I have discovered Swedish band Ebba Gron, who later became Imperiet.

I like listening to stuff a bit out of the ordinary.
Previous Topic: Turntable Drawer
Next Topic: Buying a record player
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 15:02:50 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout