Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 4Pi Rough concept
Re: 4Pi Rough concept [message #88262 is a reply to message #88255] Thu, 28 June 2018 15:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ggnarley is currently offline  ggnarley
Chancellor
johnnycamp5,

Yes they are new. Can't wait till they break in. They still are miles above what I have now as is, so it will just be icing on the cake

Paul

Re: 4Pi Rough concept [message #88271 is a reply to message #88072] Fri, 29 June 2018 10:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Working on insulation. Decided to put 2" wood screws around the perimeter of where any insulation is being installed to tether it in place. These will be moved around from time to time to various functions, so I wanted to make sure insulation is held in place well.

index.php?t=getfile&id=2165&private=0

Cut separate pieces for each side and cut openings for wiring and braces. Tried to leave enough area around port so air would not be restricted.

index.php?t=getfile&id=2164&private=0

index.php?t=getfile&id=2163&private=0

Also reamed hole of t-nut for wave guide that was out of place and reinstalled.

Re: 4Pi Rough concept [message #88374 is a reply to message #88271] Sat, 07 July 2018 10:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Picked up second set of drivers for other speaker. Had a hiccup with each one. Went to install the wave guide on the B&C DE250 and noticed one of the 4 screws that go through the back was a bit higher than others. Removed it and tried putting it back in and felt it was a bit tight. Put a tiny dab of oil on it and it went in much better. Was installing the t-nuts on the JBL 2226 and got to the 5th one and noticed it was a different size. I got 5 the correct size and 3 wrong. (Called Harmon and they are sending out new hardware package). Had to remove one and reinstall at four sides to get it installed for testing.

Also used another method to install insulation. Got some 5/8 dowels and put a screw in each side to hold insulation. I think it looks and works much better than old way.

index.php?t=getfile&id=2171&private=0

index.php?t=getfile&id=2170&private=0

Got to listen for a couple hours at moderate volume as everyone was out of house. (Will talk about sound later, but for now one word WOW!!!) Anyway, wife came home looked at speakers in about area where they will be and said they looked good.

That got me to thinking about grill treatment. My original idea was to wrap speaker on 3 sides with cloth and make solid wood top. After positioning them, they are a bit tall for end tables and think in our room they will need to be raised a bit get sound at better level. Also, they are heavy. Need my son to help carry them. I am going to be transporting these to different functions and could see the grill cloth on the sided getting tore up when moving them. Sooo

Decided to try an inset grill instead. Ripped 3/4" baltic birch scraps of cabinet to 1" depth. Have question though. Will this depth interfere with baffle diffraction? The frame is still outside of the 45 and 90 degree pattern of the wave guide. One thought is to cut off the top of frame to just cover the midbass driver if it does make a difference and work on a thinner or no grill for top. Can't go any less in depth as I don't want speaker hitting grill when playing normally. I have rounded the corners on frame, and for now will lightly tack up one grill to see how it goes and sounds.

index.php?t=getfile&id=2169&private=0

Had to rabbet out edge of frame to accommodate edge of wave guide

index.php?t=getfile&id=2168&private=0

Final position of grill on speaker

index.php?t=getfile&id=2167&private=0

Paul
Re: 4Pi Rough concept [message #88392 is a reply to message #88374] Sun, 08 July 2018 12:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Getting close now!

Re: 4Pi Rough concept [message #88394 is a reply to message #88392] Sun, 08 July 2018 18:29 Go to previous message
Chancellor
Stapling up cloth over frames. Wasted an hour scrounging around looking for my manual staple gun to fasten grill cover on frame. Just about resolved to go get another one, and wife says why don't you try our paper stapler. Worth a shot. Well it turned out to be perfect. Almost all the staple drove cleanly and they ended up below the level of the cloth so overall depth would not be increased.

index.php?t=getfile&id=2176&private=0

Sanded all the sides of the frame smooth so it wouldn't catch cloth. Set the four corner blocks around midbass to use as attachment point if needed. I sized the frames to fit snuggly inside the recess of the front cabinet so hopefully could just tap them in without any anchor. So far so good.

index.php?t=getfile&id=2175&private=0

Had to sand a bit extra on a few edges to get the fit right. Outside of speaker still in rough state. Pencil marks, not sanded only minimal screw in to get them playing.

index.php?t=getfile&id=2173&private=0

index.php?t=getfile&id=2174&private=0

index.php?t=getfile&id=2172&private=0

To continue. Everyone just left so time for some listening.

Paul

• Attachment: Both.jpg
    (Size: 80.66KB, Downloaded 872 times)
  • Attachment: side.jpg
    (Size: 55.66KB, Downloaded 848 times)
  • Attachment: front.jpg
    (Size: 47.00KB, Downloaded 803 times)
  • Attachment: frame.jpg
    (Size: 66.35KB, Downloaded 840 times)
  • Attachment: Stapler.jpg
    (Size: 69.10KB, Downloaded 834 times)
Previous Topic: 7Pi Plans request