Home » Audio » General » The social aspect of music platforms
The social aspect of music platforms [message #88303] Tue, 03 July 2018 05:13 Go to next message
Musique is currently offline  Musique
Chancellor
The rise of mobile music platforms certainly helps me to reach more music anytime and anywhere. There is only one thing I don't find helpful: the social part of it. Some may feel like following others' playlist, but does that happen a lot? Each of us has a different taste, so having our own should be good enough.

Do you use the feature in any way?
Re: The social aspect of music platforms [message #88325 is a reply to message #88303] Wed, 04 July 2018 12:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yurimi is currently offline  Yurimi
Viscount
Every person using the platform has a different expectation. Some may wish to see what their friends are listening to and leave a comment about the song. Other social networks can do that, but I can see why these music platforms want to provide such features themselves and keep their users in.
Re: The social aspect of music platforms [message #88336 is a reply to message #88303] Thu, 05 July 2018 10:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I worked a contract for HP to develop an Ereader. They wanted to provide a device like a Kindle or iPad. So I helped to design one for them.

Part of their stated design goal was the software on the device should allow notes to be shared among users. They wanted a social media for book readers. At first, I thought it was stupid. And ultimately the application didn't gain the popularity they had hoped. But it doesn't change the fact that social media is really popular with millennials.

I did think of one application for such a tool - To be able to share notes on things like technical manuals; When a technician found some aspect of one of his tasks that he felt merited mention, he could share that with other techs in the field. I could see sharing book notes to be useful in that regard.

Still, whether social media makes sense or not, millennials love it. They share about everything. They literally get out of bed and post on the internet about their morning shower. Then they share about every other thing they do. Youths today share about everything trivial. It's just a part of what they have become. So I'm not surprised to see social media brought into any and all aspects of our lives.

I do think this is a fad though. It will subside; Later generations will become less chatty. I think people will continue to share in a multitude of ways, so all the connections we've developed will continue to be used. I just think people will bore of the trivia and it will eventually become bad form to publicly share minutia.

Re: The social aspect of music platforms [message #88355 is a reply to message #88336] Fri, 06 July 2018 11:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently online  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Quote:
I do think this is a fad though. It will subside; Later generations will become less chatty. I think people will continue to share in a multitude of ways, so all the connections we've developed will continue to be used. I just think people will bore of the trivia and it will eventually become bad form to publicly share minutia.

A-hmen to that. And it isn't just the millennial's. I've seen the facebook rambling's of older adults that include such insipid trivia. I have the least smidgen of interest in it. I like some anonymity. One thing though, all those tattoo's the millennial's have won't be as easy to let go of as they age.
Re: The social aspect of music platforms [message #88357 is a reply to message #88355] Fri, 06 July 2018 12:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

../images/Laughing_Felix.gif

You're so right!

Re: The social aspect of music platforms [message #88368 is a reply to message #88336] Sat, 07 July 2018 04:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Musique is currently offline  Musique
Chancellor
Wayne Parham wrote on Thu, 05 July 2018 22:18

I share your concerns. A platform like Spotify is too huge to be reduced to a sharing network, but I'm puzzled that it takes a central stage when we can turn our attention to other features (such as having the lyrics and the translation on the screen). I'm on the point where I walk away from music platforms which focus on the social elements too much.
Re: The social aspect of music platforms [message #88415 is a reply to message #88303] Mon, 09 July 2018 19:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Groot is currently offline  Groot
Viscount
I always think that the advancement of technology makes us lazy. Social media is a direct result of the invention of smartphones. The word social media itself might not be the correct term because the physical socialization and interaction is almost gone in our society today. People are communicating to their phones right now instead of the people around them.
Re: The social aspect of music platforms [message #88461 is a reply to message #88303] Wed, 18 July 2018 06:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TechFreakofNature is currently offline  TechFreakofNature
Chancellor
I also think that they just incorporate it without a real reason. I don't really care to see what my Facebook friends are listening to at the moment, as I am sure they don't need to know what I am listening to.
Re: The social aspect of music platforms [message #94604 is a reply to message #88303] Sun, 10 October 2021 04:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Phonetic Ear is currently offline  Phonetic Ear
Baron
No, I don't even pay attention to it. I feel lazy already thinking about caring about others' music preferences. Maybe it's there for the sake of algorithms and recommendations.
Re: The social aspect of music platforms [message #94651 is a reply to message #88303] Fri, 22 October 2021 05:16 Go to previous message
Zart is currently offline  Zart
Baron
They probably start to integrate social media to keep their users stay on the platform. It helps others feel less alone, but it also creates a false sense of community for individuals. I wouldn't bother to know what others listen to since music is a safe space for me.
Previous Topic: Louder Volume Equals Inaudible Words
Next Topic: How is sound important?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 16:30:09 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout