Home » Audio » General » Bang & Olufsen
Bang & Olufsen [message #88304] Tue, 03 July 2018 07:49 Go to next message
JazzHog is currently offline  JazzHog
Baron
Is anyone else on here a fan of Bang & Olufsen audio equipment? I don't own any as yet, but am interested in acquiring some when I have the spare cash to do so.

I want to get a B&O amp, vinyl record deck, CD player and speakers. I may end up doing this by buying second hand.

A friend of mine has an audio system of B&O components from the 1970's, and it is pretty impressive.
Re: Bang & Olufsen [message #88312 is a reply to message #88304] Tue, 03 July 2018 16:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, I have one of their receivers, a Beomaster 2400 (type 2901). An interesting piece of gear. Very advanced in some ways particularly for the vintage. The controls and way they function are quite neat. However under the skin it is pretty much a garden variety receiver. Nothing special. By some standards not as good a performer as some of its contemporaries. Modest power and distortion. The remotes are really hard to find BTW. The speakers if you get them are average in performance. The problem with using others is the odd connectors. I put binding posts in mine to get around the problem. The companion turntables are more or less equal in performance to others of the same era. They use unusual cartridges. They are scarce and can get costly. Without modification it will not use most others. In general a conversation piece and very modern looking...but unless you can get it inexpensively you might find other gear that will serve you better. Then again everyone needs some eye candy type gear. I have a Transcriptor Saturn turntable. It is about as odd as they get, but cool looking. index.php?t=getfile&id=2166&private=0

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Bang & Olufsen [message #88324 is a reply to message #88304] Wed, 04 July 2018 12:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yurimi is currently offline  Yurimi
Viscount
I recognize the name from the HP laptops. They use Bang & Olufsen as the sound system, and from my last experience with them, the sound quality was quite impressive. I am naturally drawn to check their speakers, but let me know if I'm missing something else.
Re: Bang & Olufsen [message #88337 is a reply to message #88304] Thu, 05 July 2018 10:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Wow, that Transcriptor Saturn turntable is something to look at! I quite like novel looking audio items. Is it one of those that has a strobe light so you can tell that it is turning at the right speed? Is the cover perspex?
Re: Bang & Olufsen [message #88344 is a reply to message #88337] Thu, 05 July 2018 15:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi There is no strobe. It is belt drive with a synchronous AC motor. The top is after market. The original was damaged in transit to me. Sad Eye candy for sure...but fiddly as all get out. Not for folks with anything but lots of patience and good set up gear.

Now back to B&O (I don't want to hijack the thread)

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Bang & Olufsen [message #88360 is a reply to message #88304] Fri, 06 July 2018 14:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Thanks, gofar99! No need to worry about changing the subject a little, it doesn't have to be all B&O! Laughing

But, back to B&O, I know that some of their turntables had the strobe light. I am not sure that this was strictly necessary, or whether it was a bit of a gimmick.
Re: Bang & Olufsen [message #88416 is a reply to message #88304] Mon, 09 July 2018 21:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Junior is currently offline  Junior
Viscount
This is actually my first time to hear about this brand. I searched their website and they manufacture sound systems particularly. If they focused on sound systems, then their product might be great.
Re: Bang & Olufsen [message #88419 is a reply to message #88416] Mon, 09 July 2018 21:46 Go to previous message
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, They have been around for a long time. I don't know the date, but their gear seemed to be common back in the 70's.

Good Listening
Bruce
Previous Topic: Are NAD amplifiers still something to rave about?
Next Topic: Prime Day
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 01:31:59 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout