Home » Audio » Movies & Music » "Ray" - movie about Ray Charles
"Ray" - movie about Ray Charles [message #87943] Sun, 06 May 2018 04:39 Go to next message
rarerat is currently offline  rarerat
Baron
This movie was made in 2004 but I've only just seen it - how could I have missed this one? It even won an Oscar for Jamie Foxx (Best Actor). I must have been asleep or on another planet that year!

It's very tastefully done - and NO melodrama of Hollywood-isms!

Have you seen it?
Re: "Ray" - movie about Ray Charles [message #87946 is a reply to message #87943] Sun, 06 May 2018 04:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SamW is currently offline  SamW
Baron
Yes, I saw this about 10 years ago when I was a long-haul flight. You've made me want to see it again. Ray Charles was among the first musicians I listened to because my dad was a huge fan. Charles lived his life like a giant - and it would have been easy for Hollywood to overdo things. But, as you say, they kept it low-key and classy. Educational and well-acted.

Sam
Re: "Ray" - movie about Ray Charles [message #87995 is a reply to message #87943] Wed, 09 May 2018 13:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
audiophil2 is currently offline  audiophil2
Chancellor
Loved that movie. Ray Charles is an amazing artist. The funny thing that stuck with me about the movie was how he would decide if a woman was attractive by the size of her wrist. Never really thought about a blind person being a womanizer. Laughing
Re: "Ray" - movie about Ray Charles [message #88003 is a reply to message #87943] Fri, 11 May 2018 14:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Soundcheck12 is currently offline  Soundcheck12
Chancellor
I saw it a few years ago and thought it was fantastic. Not sure if I'm remembering correctly, but didn't Jamie Foxx do his own singing in the movie? Great music and great cast equals one terrific movie.
Re: "Ray" - movie about Ray Charles [message #88019 is a reply to message #88003] Mon, 14 May 2018 03:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rarerat is currently offline  rarerat
Baron
Soundcheck12 wrote on Fri, 11 May 2018 14:57
Not sure if I'm remembering correctly, but didn't Jamie Foxx do his own singing in the movie?

Yes - truly terrific movie. But "no" Jamie Foxx did not sing and play in the final version. He can sing and play the piano - but not like Ray Charles .... he did work with Charles to get the movements/gestures when playing correct and I think some of the piano might be his. But he lipsynched with Charles for all the songs.
Re: "Ray" - movie about Ray Charles [message #88194 is a reply to message #88019] Sun, 17 June 2018 09:31 Go to previous message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Ray is a fine movie and Jamie Foxx proves his acting abilities are top notch. Taylor Hackford, the director is also a fine documentary producer. Check out Chuck Berry Hail, Hail Rock N Roll. Another fine musician inspired movie is Bird, directed by Clint Eastwood and stars Forest Whitaker, a superb actor.
I got to see Ray Charles perform once and, even as a man in his 80's could still belt out Georgia On My Mind with convincing authority. He was amazing.
Previous Topic: Rabbit Ears
Next Topic: Discovering new artists through Bandcamp
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 14:36:33 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout