Home » xyzzy » Tower » Memorial Day Thoughts
Memorial Day Thoughts [message #88088] Mon, 28 May 2018 11:21 Go to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

My thoughts go out to all the families that were broken by the death of someone that served in the military. Memorial Day is a celebration of their service coupled with a mourning for their loss.

Re: Memorial Day Thoughts [message #88100 is a reply to message #88088] Fri, 01 June 2018 16:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
johnnycamp5 is currently offline  johnnycamp5
Grand Master
Agreed.

Very well said Wayne.
Re: Memorial Day Thoughts [message #88109 is a reply to message #88088] Sun, 03 June 2018 06:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kinsley is currently offline  Kinsley
Chancellor
I'm late getting to this, but well said. I think sometimes that gets lost in all of the celebrations. That seems to happen a lot with holidays. We spent the day watching WWII documentaries.
Re: Memorial Day Thoughts [message #88114 is a reply to message #88109] Sun, 03 June 2018 15:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
So true... we forget sometimes that we hold celebrations to honor past deeds, not that past deeds are an excuse to have celebrations. Add in there the "holiday" sales on nearly everything. I won't believe that trying to sell me a new car is in any way related to or an honor of historical events.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Memorial Day Thoughts [message #88121 is a reply to message #88088] Tue, 05 June 2018 13:44 Go to previous message
Humphries is currently offline  Humphries
Chancellor
You're right, Bruce. We look for any excuse to throw a celebration and businesses will look for any excuse to hold special deals or find other means to commercialize it. People seem to just forget that there's history behind all of our holidays. The other day, I was discussing holidays with someone and I brought up the fact that St. Patrick's Day was, you know, a saint's feast day. They were shocked. I sort of thought that was common knowledge...I mean, "saint" is in the title. (Not that our present celebrations really have anything to do with Saint Patrick anymore.)

Previous Topic: Good use for old tube televisions
Next Topic: Virtual Reality Sports
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 03:39:02 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout