Home » xyzzy » Tower » Stand Up at Desks
Stand Up at Desks [message #87954] Tue, 08 May 2018 01:48 Go to next message
SamW is currently offline  SamW
Baron
My girlfriend has serious back problems and has had multiple surgeries since childhood. Sitting at a desk has always been a problem for her - finding the right chair is impossible. A physiotherapist told her to stand at her desk - or rather to buy a desk that is designed, ergonomically, to be stood at rather than sat at.

That was 3 years ago and she's a devotee of standing at her "stand up at desk" now.

I tried after suffering a slight back strain and I'm converted too. My back is fine now - but I find that I'm much more comfortable and productive when standing rather than sitting. And I'm at my desk for about 8 hours a day. I tire less quickly and I feel generally more energized. I've had my "stand up at desk" for 5 months and I'm keeping it. 'There's so much more floor space too with no desk chair!)

You have to get the height for your keyboard correct for your height - and that's about it.

Does anyone else stand at their desk?

Sam
Re: Stand Up at Desks [message #87955 is a reply to message #87954] Tue, 08 May 2018 06:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
johnnycamp5 is currently offline  johnnycamp5
Grand Master
I think that's a good idea and I have also read about this.

If I recall correctly, it was an article titled "sitting is the new smoking".

Laughing

I had back surgery 18yrs ago. Sitting is definitely not something I can do for more than 10 minutes straight.
Re: Stand Up at Desks [message #88033 is a reply to message #87954] Thu, 17 May 2018 04:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rarerat is currently offline  rarerat
Baron
I'm going to try this, I might build my own and see how it goes. I'm always quite restless when I sit at the desk, constantly getting up, walking around, looking out of the window etc. It's hard on the hips and knees! And my posture is terrible.

I'll see how it goes and report back.
Re: Stand Up at Desks [message #88084 is a reply to message #87955] Sun, 27 May 2018 22:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Channon is currently offline  Channon
Chancellor
johnnycamp5 wrote on Tue, 08 May 2018 06:05
I think that's a good idea and I have also read about this.

If I recall correctly, it was an article titled "sitting is the new smoking".

Laughing

I had back surgery 18yrs ago. Sitting is definitely not something I can do for more than 10 minutes straight.

I read that article too. More recently, I read something about how just standing at your desk really isn't all that healthy either. It suggested that you need to move for 5 minutes after every 30 minutes of being in (more or less) the same position.
Re: Stand Up at Desks [message #88326 is a reply to message #87954] Wed, 04 July 2018 19:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Floyd is currently offline  Floyd
Chancellor
I have to admit that standing at a desk is not really my cup of tea! I work in retail, and so I am on my feet for most of the day. When I get home and use my computer I just want to sit on the sofa with my laptop on my knee - as I am now!

However, I do enjoy walking in my free time. I actually find standing more tiring than walking.
Re: Stand Up at Desks [message #88405 is a reply to message #87954] Mon, 09 July 2018 08:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kingfish is currently offline  Kingfish
Illuminati (1st Degree)
If you work at home and have the latest tech., you can walk around, or even workout, while talking to clients or dictating text through your bluetooth. With the text, just transfer it from your phone to your home computer and continue working.

That way you get exercise and not lose any working time.

The standing at your desk would only work for me if EVERYthing is moved up to a standing level, not just the computer.

I think it's a good idea though.
Re: Stand Up at Desks [message #88506 is a reply to message #87954] Tue, 24 July 2018 20:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
KrisHS is currently offline  KrisHS
Chancellor
I stood at my desk for a while but I found it very uncomfortable. Maybe I have bad circulation or something but I dealt with a lot of swelling in my lower body. I ended up just getting a mini cycle pedal that fits under my desk. It's helped me feel a lot more energized at work.
Re: Stand Up at Desks [message #88518 is a reply to message #88506] Wed, 25 July 2018 16:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
My feet start aching just thinking about it Laughing

Possibly a good idea, but not for me.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Stand Up at Desks [message #88537 is a reply to message #88518] Fri, 27 July 2018 21:38 Go to previous message
Lennix is currently offline  Lennix
Chancellor
^ I'm with you on this one. Even with the most comfortable shoes in the world, standing all day doesn't sound appealing to me whatsoever.

I don't really see how changing from one static position to another would have enough health benefits to make it worth it.

I applaud people who do it though.
Previous Topic: Music Festivals
Next Topic: Phone can't connect to a MiFi device
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 03:41:21 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers