Home » xyzzy » Dungeon » Stairway To Heaven Backwards
Stairway To Heaven Backwards [message #83977] Sun, 27 November 2016 00:40 Go to next message
Airforce 3 is currently offline  Airforce 3
Viscount
Remember that old Zeppelin song? Remember all that talk back in the day about how when you play certain songs backwards, satanic messages could be heard? I heard a story once about how someone played the song backwards in a church and all the candles extinguished themselves.

Think there's any truth to that?
Re: Stairway To Heaven Backwards [message #84060 is a reply to message #83977] Sun, 11 December 2016 09:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thaddeus is currently offline  Thaddeus
Baron
I remember a lot of talk about this along time ago. I even remember one of my friend's parents having the record and my friend played it backwards one time. I've never actually heard it myself, but I guess there could always be that possibility. Have you ever heard the messages?
Re: Stairway To Heaven Backwards [message #86141 is a reply to message #83977] Tue, 19 September 2017 11:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Azuri is currently offline  Azuri
Grand Master
There is an even bigger question to this that no one has ever addressed. How does the average listener get the average turntable to roll backwards at 33 1/3 RPM's?

Having owned and seen many turntables in my life, I have never seen that as a working option.
Re: Stairway To Heaven Backwards [message #87023 is a reply to message #86141] Tue, 16 January 2018 02:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kitt is currently offline  Kitt
Baron
Azuri wrote on Tue, 19 September 2017 11:24
There is an even bigger question to this that no one has ever addressed. How does the average listener get the average turntable to roll backwards at 33 1/3 RPM's?

Having owned and seen many turntables in my life, I have never seen that as a working option.

That's actually a very good point. It's something that everyone who believes the stories mentioned here should ask themselves. I don't think any of those stories are true.
Re: Stairway To Heaven Backwards [message #87026 is a reply to message #87023] Tue, 16 January 2018 09:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

People rotated the records backwards with their fingers. Best if you had a direct-drive turntable, but belt drives usually wouldn't throw the belt if you didn't go crazy with it.

Some artists in the 1960s and 1970s purposely mixed in backwards material, probably in response to the popularity of this fad back then. People may have started thinking they could hear eerie sayings when they played records backwards, so some artists recorded backmasked content on purpose. The Beatles were the first to do it on their 1966 Album, "Revolver." The one I like best was on the Electric Light Orchestra's album "Face the Music."

When you play the intro to the first song (Fire On High) backwards it says, "The music is reversible, but time is not. Turn back, turn back, turn back!"

Re: Stairway To Heaven Backwards [message #87051 is a reply to message #83977] Wed, 17 January 2018 08:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
johnnycamp5 is currently offline  johnnycamp5
Grand Master
When I was young, I used to rotate the album backwards with my finger lol.

That's interesting about that Beatles album Wayne, I did not know that.
Re: Stairway To Heaven Backwards [message #88017 is a reply to message #83977] Mon, 14 May 2018 03:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rarerat is currently offline  rarerat
Baron
I've never heard of this - it all sounds a bit far-fetched to me and maybe had a lot to do with whatever people were on back then Shocked

I might have to try it out - I wonder if Johnny Cash left a hidden message this way, that would be cool.
Re: Stairway To Heaven Backwards [message #90803 is a reply to message #88017] Mon, 26 August 2019 09:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Speaking of vinyl played backwards, and forwards, and backwards, and forwards. Over and over. What in gods name made record scratching so popular? Whooka, whooka, whooka. I never could get it. It just seemed inane. And now for the maestro's next scratch. Whooka, whooka, whooka. Ay caramba!
I shouldn't gripe though. Without that whooka, whooka, the Technics 1200 turntable I use would have probably gone defunct long before it did. And then be brought back from the dead again by popular demand.
Re: Stairway To Heaven Backwards [message #90804 is a reply to message #90803] Mon, 26 August 2019 10:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

So true!
Re: Stairway To Heaven Backwards [message #90807 is a reply to message #83977] Mon, 26 August 2019 17:29 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
johnnycamp5 is currently offline  johnnycamp5
Grand Master
Yes, its often been referred to as the "no talent zone".

Laughing

Previous Topic: I Hate Wire
Next Topic: Winning A Battle Vs. Winning The War
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 03:00:21 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers