Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 7pi speaker parts and multiple subs
7pi speaker parts and multiple subs [message #88000] Thu, 10 May 2018 13:26 Go to next message
Jeff D is currently offline  Jeff D
Esquire
Hi Wayne,

A couple of years ago I stumbled on your designs and you kindly sent me the plans for the 7pi corner horn when I suggested my lounge might be ok as a suitable location. I am in the UK so it has been necessary (cost wise) to collect parts locally rather than source them through you. I was happily collecting components for the 7pi when life got more than a bit busy and I have just come back to the idea of getting these built a few years later. Already purchased are the JBL 2226 woofers, the Eminence Delta 10 mids, the H290 horns and there I stopped.

I was a bit more clued up when I first started on my shopping list but not now. Please can you confirm that all drivers for the 7pi should be the 8 ohm version. My local supplier has four different types of the 8ohm B&C de250 drivers in limited numbers and I wondered if you could provide some guidance before I contact them. I think one is push fit, another spade terminal and a couple have 'tn' in the description. What would you normally suggest or supply ?

I was reading some of the more recent posts for information and looking at your replies to the "7pi plan and guidance request" post when I realised there were bigger 7pi woofers in the past and you were suggesting using his JBL 2242 drivers in 7pi-18 cabs or if no suitable corner location, a conventional box (attractive, 4pi-18 ?) as multisubs. I have two 18" Fane Colossus XB and one Colossus B which I think are not too dissimilar to the JBL as both are 99 db sensitive and designed for similar size ported cabinets. The XB specs are available on the web. I could fit in one corner sub and one or two conventional subs using the above. I hope you might supply plans if you agree that there is enough similarity.

Thanks Jeff
Re: 7pi speaker parts and multiple subs [message #88001 is a reply to message #88000] Thu, 10 May 2018 13:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

You are correct that all drivers are 8Ω variants. The DE250-8 is the one we use, which has a polyimide diaphragm. The DE250TN uses a titanium diaphragm, and has very different properties. It's a great driver, but needs crossover changes to use. If you do purchase it, make the crossover R1/R2 values be the same as shown for the Eminence PSD2002.

As for the 2242 woofer, I'll send plans for them. So check your mail.

Re: 7pi speaker parts and multiple subs [message #88006 is a reply to message #88001] Fri, 11 May 2018 15:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jeff D is currently offline  Jeff D
Esquire
Thanks very much Wayne. So the polyimide version is the best one to go for.

I really want to hear what these corner horns can do. Fingers crossed I am allowed the time to get them built soon.
Re: 7pi speaker parts and multiple subs [message #88008 is a reply to message #88006] Fri, 11 May 2018 15:56 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Keep us posted with your progress!

Previous Topic: Questions about Pi Speakers
Next Topic: 2 Pi + 2 Pi Tower Plans Request
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 13:01:43 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio