Home » Audio » General » Scott Muni Has Died
Scott Muni Has Died [message #879] Wed, 29 September 2004 17:39 Go to next message
elektratig is currently offline  elektratig
Grand Master
I just read a notice that dee jay Scott Muni has died. Growing up in NYC, in eighth grade (c. 1968) I began listening to the then brand new free-format WNEW-FM -- Roscoe, Zacherly, Allison Steele the Night Turd (you had to be there). But somehow it was Scott Muni, yes he with the dreaded AM background, who set the tone, with his slow gravelly voice.

A long time ago. I'm feeling very old.

Re: Scott Muni Has Died [message #880 is a reply to message #879] Wed, 29 September 2004 18:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I'm sorry to hear that. Your favorite radio hosts become so familiar, they're just like old friends.

Re: Scott Muni Has Died [message #882 is a reply to message #879] Wed, 29 September 2004 20:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Jesus; don't tell me that. 6pm, Roskoe, opening the show with a poem and that great experimental jazz background, right after Scott Muni's 2p-6p. Then The night bird with those great stories. Back when; did you attend the WNEW concerts in the parks? Gaelic Park, Prospect, Central. Scott Muni, Allison, Roskoe; they were always there and approachable.
I remmember talking to Allison Steele and Scott by the bandshell at Prospect Park; Brewer and Shipley were playing "One Toke Over The Line", and some nit-wit was climbing the bandshell to moon everyone. There was a big security guy who wanted to pound the hoople and Muni stopped him from overeacting. He was on when John Lennon was Shot. I'll never forget, his gravel voice defines that moment for me. Like Walter Cronkite with JFK.
Every day the world gets a little smaller.

Scott Muni Aircheck and Some Other Nostalgia [message #893 is a reply to message #882] Thu, 30 September 2004 13:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
I poked around the internet to see whether there were any excerpts of a Scott Muni radio program. I ran across a great site, reelradio.com, which includes an aircheck of Scott Muni, Dan Ingram and Cousin Brucie, then on WABC-AM, reporting from the Delmonico Hotel while the Beatles were staying there on August 28, 1964. Among other things, they interview Ringo and Paul, and arrange to return a lost St. Christopher's medal to Ringo.

There are also airchecks of Rosko's October 2, 1967 on-air resignation from WOR-FM (following which he was hired by WNEW-FM), and an interview, five days later, of Rosko by Pete Fornatale, then on WFUV, about Rosko's resignation. Unfortunately, no Zacherle or Allison Steele. The site has a search engine, so you can enter the name of your favorite deejay or station and see what they have. For those who grew up in NYC in the '60s, there's plenty of WABC-AM and WMCA-AM (remember the Good Guys?).

Now I'm feeling REALLY old!

Re: Scott Muni Aircheck and Some Other Nostalgia [message #895 is a reply to message #893] Thu, 30 September 2004 14:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Thats a great site ,thanks. I have a buddy who loved Allison Steele and he still keeps old tapes of hers. We listened to one of her describing being stuck in a cabin during a snowstorm in front of a roaring fire. Good stuff. I remmember Scott Muni as a pretty good acquaintance of Lennon with some nice interviews but I can't find them. I know I asked but did you ever attend those WNEW concerts in the park? I know they went on for a couple years, they would have one in each park throughout the summer. Thats where acts like Buzzy Linhart and Al Kooper played all the time and the WNEW D-Jays were always hanging about. I remmember one Friday night when Zacherle had his show on and for 10 minutes there was dead air. Just about to turn the dial when we hear a cough; evidently he had fallen asleep, what a character. What happened to Pete Fornatele?

Re: Scott Muni Has Died [message #901 is a reply to message #879] Thu, 30 September 2004 18:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DRCope is currently offline  DRCope
Master
Oh man. I grew up on Long Island at the same exact time, and Scottso set the tone and the tunes. He was THE Voice of progressive rock for me. Very sad.

I guess I was more favorably disposed toward Allison, though. How could you not love that voice at 14?!

Re: Scott Muni Has Died [message #903 is a reply to message #901] Thu, 30 September 2004 19:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Jesus; she could draw sweat from a stone. That voice and those stories. Ever see her, she was only 5' with that red hair and that perfect body. How many times did you stay in the car after you arrived home from the bars and just listen to her.

Re: Scott Muni Aircheck and Some Other Nostalgia [message #910 is a reply to message #895] Fri, 01 October 2004 08:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
MB,

Unfortunately I didn't attend the concerts. My favorite was Rosko, particularly when he went off on one of his dreamy raps. I'm not sure they made any sense, but I suspect that wasn't the point. His voice was so mellifluous it just sort of washed over you -- as did Muni's at his best.

At about the same time I was a big fan of Steve Post and his Outside show on WBAI. It was on from midnight until whenever Saturday and Sunday nights, and I'd show you up in school Monday morning like a zombie.

Re: Scott Muni Aircheck and Some Other Nostalgia [message #911 is a reply to message #910] Fri, 01 October 2004 08:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Yes Steve Post, I considored mentioning him. Where is there radio like that anymore. Tried the net but there just aren't artists like him around. What happenend? Is it this generation, I mean we had TV, the radio was much better, Roscko could rivet your attention, even at 6pm in the traffic on LIE. Free-form radio; now we have Clearchannel. Thats just great. Thanks for sharing memories.

Allison Steele the Night Turd? [message #912 is a reply to message #879] Fri, 01 October 2004 09:20 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
GTFsr is currently offline  GTFsr
Esquire
I certainly enjoy her show. She sounded so sexy.
Well that was a long time ago.

GTF

1971 DP high

Previous Topic: trying to understand of the 'q' of an open baffle system
Next Topic: MARANTZ 2325
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 07 07:54:07 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio