Home » Audio » Movies & Music » Amazon Prime Membership Hike (options for replacing Prime Music and Video?)
Amazon Prime Membership Hike [message #87898] Sun, 29 April 2018 14:44 Go to next message
Lost the Remote is currently offline  Lost the Remote
Master
I cut out cable a couple of months ago, so I watch a ton of movies and original shows on Amazon Prime Video. I also enjoy Amazon Prime Music. However, Amazon is hiking its membership fee up to $119 which is about the same price I was paying for cable. My membership will be up in August and I'll likely go back to cable instead of renewing. Are there any other alternatives to replace the entertainment side of Amazon Prime for $100 a year or less?
Re: Amazon Prime Membership Hike [message #87901 is a reply to message #87898] Mon, 30 April 2018 10:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Soundcheck12 is currently offline  Soundcheck12
Chancellor
That's a really good question. $119 for an annual membership is a breaking point for me, too, so I'm not planning on renewing my membership. Wondering if NetFlix, Hulu or one of the other subscription programs will meet my needs.
Re: Amazon Prime Membership Hike [message #87904 is a reply to message #87898] Mon, 30 April 2018 10:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I'm not defending Amazon here, but $120/year is $10/month. A basic Netflix account is $11.00/month, so the cost is about the same. Not sure I could find a cable provider for that.

But there are plenty of free-to-watch streaming video providers that use an advertising business model like old-school broadcast television. Look at Crackle, Pluto, Roku, TubiTV and Xumo, for example.

Re: Amazon Prime Membership Hike [message #87914 is a reply to message #87904] Tue, 01 May 2018 12:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Strum Drum is currently offline  Strum Drum
Master
Are you a student? If so you can get Spotify Premium and Hulu for about $5 per month. You can renew that subscription price up to three times.
Re: Amazon Prime Membership Hike [message #87927 is a reply to message #87904] Thu, 03 May 2018 10:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Soundcheck12 is currently offline  Soundcheck12
Chancellor
Wayne Parham wrote on Mon, 30 April 2018 10:22

I'm not defending Amazon here, but $120/year is $10/month. A basic Netflix account is $11.00/month, so the cost is about the same. Not sure I could find a cable provider for that.

You have a really good point there. I should have done the math and looked at the monthly cost. When it's broken down monthly, it really isn't too bad, is it?
Re: Amazon Prime Membership Hike [message #87928 is a reply to message #87904] Thu, 03 May 2018 13:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lost the Remote is currently offline  Lost the Remote
Master
Wayne Parham wrote on Mon, 30 April 2018 10:22

You're right about that. The increase was just aggravating, especially at a time when Amazon is doing well, but no, I can't find the cable that cheap. I suppose I'll stick with Amazon Prime since I do use all the benefits.
Re: Amazon Prime Membership Hike [message #88048 is a reply to message #87898] Mon, 21 May 2018 16:42 Go to previous message
Channon is currently offline  Channon
Chancellor
The increase in price is annoying, sure, but I think it's justified. They've added a lot of media content. Honestly, I don't think I could ever go back to cable. My cable company would always randomly start charging me more without any notification. They weren't adding anything to their services either, it was just the same old thing. I've had that problem with several cable companies. Besides, Amazon Prime offers a lot of other services included in that fee.
Previous Topic: Binge-worthy shows
Next Topic: Classical Music
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 17 22:32:50 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout