Home » xyzzy » Tower » Just Ban Rifles And Assault Weapons
Just Ban Rifles And Assault Weapons [message #86283] Thu, 05 October 2017 10:30 Go to next message
Azuri is currently offline  Azuri
Grand Master
No where in the constitution does it specify what types of firearms are protected. You want protection? Buy a gun. Not a rifle, not an AR-15 or AK-47 or any other such type weapon. Buy what is needed for the purpose you say it is intended for. Not what you want. What people WANT is what is used in mass shootings.

Thoughts? Opinions?
Re: Just Ban Rifles And Assault Weapons [message #87316 is a reply to message #86283] Thu, 01 March 2018 13:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leonardo is currently offline  Leonardo
Chancellor
Nearly six months later and this is once again a huge topic of debate. I've previously owned an AR-15 and I get why people like them. They're a lot easier to shoot. Unfortunately, that goes for both the defender and the attacker. I think they should be banned, although I am not opposed to security guards (who will actually respond to a threat) having them.
Re: Just Ban Rifles And Assault Weapons [message #87355 is a reply to message #87316] Sat, 03 March 2018 20:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, I just added some thoughts on another thread here on this subject. As a general principle, I agree. As a practical matter I doubt it will work as intended. Such weapons will become a little harder but not impossible to get, mostly the cost will go up. We really need a more complete solution.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Just Ban Rifles And Assault Weapons [message #87360 is a reply to message #86283] Sun, 04 March 2018 17:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kingfish is currently offline  Kingfish
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Sadly, here we are 5 months and more than a few school shootings later, and this has become an evergreen topic.

It's not so much the guns as it is a social issue. We have always had guns, but we haven't had these issues until just recently.
Re: Just Ban Rifles And Assault Weapons [message #87382 is a reply to message #87360] Tue, 06 March 2018 15:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EasyE is currently offline  EasyE
Chancellor
Kingfish wrote on Sun, 04 March 2018 17:51
Sadly, here we are 5 months and more than a few school shootings later, and this has become an evergreen topic.

It's not so much the guns as it is a social issue. We have always had guns, but we haven't had these issues until just recently.

I completely agree with you. Obviously, something is different in our world today that is making this a real issue. What social issues do you think need to be addressed?
Re: Just Ban Rifles And Assault Weapons [message #87447 is a reply to message #87382] Tue, 13 March 2018 13:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kingfish is currently offline  Kingfish
Illuminati (1st Degree)
EasyE wrote on Tue, 06 March 2018 15:24
Kingfish wrote on Sun, 04 March 2018 17:51

I completely agree with you. Obviously, something is different in our world today that is making this a real issue. What social issues do you think need to be addressed?

All of them. Lack of the nuclear family structure.......the proliferation of violence in movies, television shows and gaming that lead to mass acceptance. That mass acceptance that tells people it's no big deal and that is has no negative effect on young minds.

The proliferation of pharmacueticals to treat mental conditions that never existed before the proliferation of pharmacueticals.

Our morals and ethics have gone to pot and we just don't seem to care anymore.
Re: Just Ban Rifles And Assault Weapons [message #87881 is a reply to message #87447] Fri, 27 April 2018 04:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SamW is currently offline  SamW
Baron
I think a lot of today's kids are disconnected from real human interaction. Add to that what Kingfish said about violent movies and computer games and their reality is distorted.

I'd ban guns. And the idea of giving guns to teachers is one of the worst ideas ever.

Sam
Re: Just Ban Rifles And Assault Weapons [message #87888 is a reply to message #87881] Sat, 28 April 2018 11:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
johnnycamp5 is currently offline  johnnycamp5
Grand Master
SamW wrote on Fri, 27 April 2018 05:19
I think a lot of today's kids are disconnected from real human interaction. Add to that what Kingfish said about violent movies and computer games and their reality is distorted.

I'd ban guns. And the idea of giving guns to teachers is one of the worst ideas ever.

I'm not sure how that could be, unless said kids don't go to school, have no friends, and also have no adult guidance/supervision all simultaneously, which defines a 24-7 recluse/shut in.

Perhaps this (extreme reclusive behavior) could result in mental illness, this person not being able to distinguish everyday life/reality from a video game or violent movie.
Clearly the video game or horror film is not to blame.

Blaming in-animate objects for peoples poor behavior. It reminds me of a law in NY a couple of years ago, which banned sugared soda from being sold over a certain size, because the consumption of too much refined sugar can lead to obesity! Laughing

Banning guns (entirely) in the US isn't going to happen.
I suppose banning semi-automatic weapons may have a chance, as a typical AR15 (or AK47) seems more like a weapon of mass destruction (used in most of these school shootings) than a self defense tool.
Re: Just Ban Rifles And Assault Weapons [message #87918 is a reply to message #87888] Tue, 01 May 2018 12:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Strum Drum is currently offline  Strum Drum
Master
johnnycamp5 wrote on Sat, 28 April 2018 11:02

I'm not sure how that could be, unless said kids don't go to school, have no friends, and also have no adult guidance/supervision all simultaneously, which defines a 24-7 recluse/shut in.

You're not sure how that can be? It's social media. They're chatting on electronic devices even when sitting at the dinner table or hanging with friends. Human interactions no longer happen person to person as often as they used to. Instead, they take place online and studies show that it's hard to empathize, read body cues, pick up on voice tone, and even pay attention to the conversation when it takes place through a screen. You can be in a crowd and still be utterly alone.

I think you've made some valid points though. May I ask what you believe is the cause of so much brutal violence today? What are your ideas about how can we prevent school shootings and mass shootings in general?

Re: Just Ban Rifles And Assault Weapons [message #87920 is a reply to message #87918] Tue, 01 May 2018 16:33 Go to previous message
johnnycamp5 is currently offline  johnnycamp5
Grand Master
Strum Drum wrote on Tue, 01 May 2018 13:50
johnnycamp5 wrote on Sat, 28 April 2018 11:02

You're not sure how that can be? It's social media. They're chatting on electronic devices even when sitting at the dinner table or hanging with friends. Human interactions no longer happen person to person as often as they used to. Instead, they take place online and studies show that it's hard to empathize, read body cues, pick up on voice tone, and even pay attention to the conversation when it takes place through a screen. You can be in a crowd and still be utterly alone.

I think you've made some valid points though. May I ask what you believe is the cause of so much brutal violence today? What are your ideas about how can we prevent school shootings and mass shootings in general?

I don't understand the first paragraph.

Social media is social media,
video games are video games, and movies are movies.
My kids and I engage in all of them.
They are all forms of entertainment, and they're FAKE.

You said "You can be in a crowd and still be utterly alone"
but that is obviously not true, and being on an I-phone (social media) doesn't change that.

I guess the "cause" of the violence is the perpetrator (murderer) simply making a conscious decision to kill.
I believe that is mental illness.

I understand the suspect that ran down people in a van (in Canada) said he was angry with woman and for being celibate.
If that's true, clearly he is sick in the head.

I don't have ideas on how we can "prevent" school shootings and mass shootings because I dont believe we can.

You cant eliminate sick people or guns.

Ive said at schools metal detectors and some armed teachers would be my choice. I know I am in the minority here.
Previous Topic: Art Bell leaves the planet
Next Topic: Good use for old tube televisions
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 07:44:16 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout