Home » xyzzy » Tower » Children and Screen Time
Children and Screen Time [message #87773] Mon, 09 April 2018 04:21 Go to next message
rarerat is currently offline  rarerat
Baron
There are increasingly disturbing articles about the negative effect of new technology on children. How they socialize less, make eye contact less and are psychologically less able to adapt to new "real life" situations.

Have you observed any evidence of this in children and teens that you know?
Re: Children and Screen Time [message #87777 is a reply to message #87773] Mon, 09 April 2018 20:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
J.Jacobs is currently offline  J.Jacobs
Chancellor
I've definitely noticed that teens seem to interact with one another less, at least face to face. They always have their phones out, even in groups, and seem to just sit in silence while they're on their phones. It's bizarre. I've noticed the lack of eye contact thing too, but I remember being that way around adults when I was a teenager. I don't know if that's just a technology thing, but it could be.
Re: Children and Screen Time [message #87780 is a reply to message #87773] Mon, 09 April 2018 23:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TheRepublic is currently offline  TheRepublic
Esquire
What kind of "real life" situations are you talking about? I've noticed that people in general, not just children, are being affected by new technology. Everything happens instantaneously because everything is online. It makes your phone/tablet incredibly distracting and, superficially at least, it seems more satisfying than face to face encounters. I think people are getting too used to hiding behind their online personas.
Re: Children and Screen Time [message #87798 is a reply to message #87780] Thu, 12 April 2018 03:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SamW is currently offline  SamW
Baron
One, simple, everyday "real life" situation that seems to be dominated by screens are queues.... at bus stops, in banks at checkouts. People (often) used to chat with the person next to them, or at least greet them even if a conversation didn't ensue. Now, most people have their eyes fixed on their smartphone or tablet.

Once, in a supermarket, I saw a couple with an infant in a stroller. Each parent was lost in their smartphone and when the child began to grizzle they gave it a tablet to watch cartoons.

Sam
Re: Children and Screen Time [message #87836 is a reply to message #87798] Tue, 17 April 2018 01:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Madison is currently offline  Madison
Grand Master
I think talking to people through a screen makes it easier to be rude. I worry because it also makes "strangers" less scary for some children. I watch my kids closely and limit screen time, but my girls are young. I'm sure it'll get tougher as they become teens.
Re: Children and Screen Time [message #89101 is a reply to message #87773] Mon, 05 November 2018 02:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pato is currently offline  Pato
Chancellor
I have observed it in my 6 year old niece who spends a lot of time on a phone, tablet or laptop. Sometimes she concentrates so deeply that she barely notices what's going on around her.
Re: Children and Screen Time [message #89103 is a reply to message #89101] Mon, 05 November 2018 09:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
The smart phone of today is a pacifier for children like the television was back in the day. I've seen toddlers with the things, immersed in their targeted content. Adults and teens are obsessed with social media. I live near a university where on the crosswalks have been stenciled "LOOK" on the pavement to possible bring the reality retreated student back to a semblance of consciousness to be aware of oncoming traffic. Maybe humanity is turning into actual real zombies.
Re: Children and Screen Time [message #90455 is a reply to message #87773] Tue, 18 June 2019 06:01 Go to previous message
AcousticJack is currently offline  AcousticJack
Chancellor
I also think that children/teenagers are exposed to way too much technology these days. I think parents should be a little strict about that and should push their kids to spend more time outside.
Previous Topic: Workout Music
Next Topic: Cable Bill
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 04:35:11 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout