Home » Audio » Radio » Escaping the echo chamber (podcasts that aren't sensational)
Escaping the echo chamber [message #87793] Wed, 11 April 2018 20:51 Go to next message
Strum Drum is currently offline  Strum Drum
Master
My county hosts a news segment on our local radio station. There's no outrage or sensationalism. It's incredibly useful and for the most part unbiased. I haven't found a radio station that covers the national news in the same manner, but maybe there's a podcast that fits the bill? I'd like to find a podcast that is objective, that just discusses the facts of what is going on in the world. It would be great if it covered some of the good things that are happening instead of focusing on gloom and doom all the time. Negativity is all I'm seeing on every televised news program, and it's demoralizing. Any suggestions? Am I asking too much from a podcast?
Re: Escaping the echo chamber [message #87801 is a reply to message #87793] Thu, 12 April 2018 18:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
J.Jacobs is currently offline  J.Jacobs
Chancellor
You might be asking too much from people in general. It seems like all news leans to one side or the other. The podcast "Slate's Political Gabfest" tries to be as objective as they can be. They do a pretty decent job. It's the best I've found so far at least.
Re: Escaping the echo chamber [message #87861 is a reply to message #87793] Mon, 23 April 2018 09:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SamW is currently offline  SamW
Baron
A news podcast without sensationalism and without biased opinions (one way or the other) would be well worth listening too. But I think the negative news would have to be in there just as much as the positive - or else that would be selective reporting. Maybe it should have 2 sections: one for upbeat news reports and another for the doom and gloom stuff.

Sam
Re: Escaping the echo chamber [message #87885 is a reply to message #87861] Fri, 27 April 2018 14:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Strum Drum is currently offline  Strum Drum
Master
I agree Sam W., but the reporter should say it without adding their personal opinion or using dramatic language and should just state the facts. Didn't it used to be this way? As a kid growing up, I remember the news being just news. Maybe that's seen through a nostalgic lens though.
Re: Escaping the echo chamber [message #88141 is a reply to message #87793] Thu, 07 June 2018 20:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Channon is currently offline  Channon
Chancellor
It used to be that way once upon a time, Strum Drum. We don't get the news anymore, we get editorials that pretend to be otherwise. The podcast "Left, Right, and Center" has three hosts (one that's left, one that's right, and one that's center) and they discuss political events. It's not unbiased by any means but it allows all sides to get a voice. I like that they included someone from the center because you never get to hear from moderates anymore.
Re: Escaping the echo chamber [message #88156 is a reply to message #87793] Sun, 10 June 2018 01:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Humphries is currently offline  Humphries
Chancellor
All of the ones I know of have some kind of slant but there are some that have less of a slant than others. "Politico Nerdcast" is a pretty good one that focuses solely on politics. The podcast "What in the World?" is a comedy news podcast that is informative and funny at the same time.
Re: Escaping the echo chamber [message #88212 is a reply to message #87793] Tue, 19 June 2018 12:20 Go to previous message
Azuri is currently offline  Azuri
Grand Master
For every person wanting unbiased news, there is a person willing to give it.

The tide needs to turn more in this direction in my opinion.
Previous Topic: Installing your own radio
Next Topic: Knobs and Dials
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 15:42:48 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout