Home » xyzzy » Tower » I hate winter
I hate winter [message #87094] Sat, 20 January 2018 20:31 Go to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi Everyone...just venting. I moved to Arizona to get away from shoveling snow. It is much easier to shovel sunshine. But in the winter it gets so dry....walking across the rug will build up enough static charge (really bad for vinyl record reproduction) that a spark as big as a Tesla coil might make occurs. Massive. I have ground contacts near all my gear to discharge it before actually touching anything sensitive. Also nasty in my workshop. I have to use a grounded surface for building anything solid stage that can't take mega volts of shock. My cats are not too fond of winter either. I don't have personal experience...but getting a jolt through a whisker always gets them to jump. Shocked

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: I hate winter [message #87095 is a reply to message #87094] Sun, 21 January 2018 09:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
johnnycamp5 is currently offline  johnnycamp5
Grand Master
Bruce, I wonder if a "whole house humidifier " would help with that.

This is supposed to be a very good one-

https://www.consumerreports.org/products/humidifier/essick-ma1201-145636/overview/
Re: I hate winter [message #87102 is a reply to message #87094] Sun, 21 January 2018 11:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stephan is currently offline  Stephan
Chancellor
I was also going to suggest the same thing. I personally have never had to deal with such a situation, but you should really give that a try and possibly save yourself some pain. Good luck!
Re: I hate winter [message #87107 is a reply to message #87102] Sun, 21 January 2018 16:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (5th Degree)
I Had one and it got to be a pain refilling it all the time. Besides I was just venting. Winter only lasts about 3 months here. The rest of the year the humidity is fine. Rolling Eyes

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: I hate winter [message #87110 is a reply to message #87107] Mon, 22 January 2018 09:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I'm with you on all counts, Bruce. I hate the cold, hate the snow and have problems with static when it's too cold and dry.

In my last home in South Tulsa, I had a humidifier built-in to the central heat and air system. That was awesome, because it was plumbed into the home's water lines and kicked on automatically when humidity dropped. So it maintained constant humidity in the home.

Here in Northwest Arkansas, my home doesn't have this so I'm thinking of installing one. It doesn't seem to get as dry here, but still, I think those built-in humidifiers are great.

Re: I hate winter [message #87305 is a reply to message #87094] Wed, 28 February 2018 21:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
johnson93 is currently offline  johnson93
Chancellor
I've had this problem in the past when we were renting a home full of shag carpets and had some particularly dry winters. Man, it was awful. We ended up spraying our carpets with an anti-static chemical. It helped a lot!
Re: I hate winter [message #87785 is a reply to message #87094] Wed, 11 April 2018 04:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rarerat is currently offline  rarerat
Baron
I love winters - perhaps because I have a tendency to hibernate! The cold doesn't bother me unless it's also very damp.

Humidifiers are great, by the way, I have one. They aren't expensive to run and I use mine in the small laundry room to dry clothes on the airer when it's raining and I can't hang them outside.

I also love summers - and they wouldn't be the same without a long, cold winter!

Have you managed to "ground" your cats?

Re: I hate winter [message #87790 is a reply to message #87785] Wed, 11 April 2018 17:22 Go to previous message
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, The cats still don't have effective grounds. I considered attaching a long wire to the tails with a metal weight on it that would drag on the ground...but thought better of it. I figured they would wrap the wire around my legs and trip me in return. Very Happy

Good Listening
Bruce
Previous Topic: How do you feel about Facebook?
Next Topic: Teachers and guns
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 07:12:45 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout