Home » Audio » Source » Contemporary record players with "vintage" feel
Contemporary record players with "vintage" feel [message #87764] Sun, 08 April 2018 13:45 Go to next message
ABtoJayZ is currently offline  ABtoJayZ
Chancellor
My parents have been going through their attic and came across all of their old records. They haven't come across their record player yet and think they gave it away years ago. With Mother's Day coming up (and my mom's birthday on May 14th), I thought it would be fun if I could get her a record player. I don't know enough to fix up the older ones on my own if something's really wrong, so I'm hesitant to buy anything that's actually vintage. Do you know of any record players that are sold these days that have an authentic '70s vintage feel to them? Ideally, they wouldn't be too hard to work because, eh, let's just say my folks aren't too tech-savvy.
Re: Contemporary record players with "vintage" feel [message #87767 is a reply to message #87764] Sun, 08 April 2018 15:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Search for places that refurbish older players. Beware though of poorly done ones or fakes. Vintage GE, Zenith etc ought not be too expensive, not real cheap either. Alternatively check out thrift shops and be sure to test it. Often ones there will need a replacement needle.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Contemporary record players with "vintage" feel [message #87824 is a reply to message #87764] Sun, 15 April 2018 20:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ABtoJayZ is currently offline  ABtoJayZ
Chancellor
Thanks for the advice. I was hoping to simplify things by buying online but I hate buying anything refurbished online. I definitely want to be able to test it out first. I'll have to check around and see if there's anywhere nearby that has something to offer. Around what price do you think a vintage GE, Zenith would be?
Re: Contemporary record players with "vintage" feel [message #87832 is a reply to message #87824] Mon, 16 April 2018 17:42 Go to previous message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, I would expect a nice one that has been refurbished to be in the $250 to $400 range. Anything less is likely either a con job or just cosmetics. Depending on how serious you are about getting one the higher end ones would be my choice. Beware of terms like "vintage", "collectable", "rare" etc.....often wording to make a somewhat common thing seem more valuable. There may be some all in one units like Panasonic with radios and even tape players in that range that would be fine as well.

If you run into something ....check out others like it by searching for that model on the web.

Good Listening
Bruce
Previous Topic: Vinyl player humming
Next Topic: How do you store your digital music?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 18:29:21 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio