Home » Audio » Radio » Just in case you thought radio wasn't popular anymore
Just in case you thought radio wasn't popular anymore [message #87695] Thu, 05 April 2018 14:07 Go to next message
lush is currently offline  lush
Chancellor
While going through Google News, I came across NIELSEN's study about how Americans listen to audio. The radio is the top medium with a 93% reach across a broad age-range. I think it's safe to say the radio is far from dead.
Re: Just in case you thought radio wasn't popular anymore [message #87712 is a reply to message #87695] Thu, 05 April 2018 23:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Khanman is currently offline  Khanman
Chancellor
Given the context of the study, these numbers aren't surprising. This was about advertisement reach, right? So, they're only counting things that have ads. Anything watched on Netflix, Amazon Prime, HBO, iTunes, movies already purchased, etc., would be out since they don't have advertisements for things outside of their own products. If all of those were included, I bet television would be higher. Maybe they were included, I don't know. They don't really hand out the details very easily on their site.
Re: Just in case you thought radio wasn't popular anymore [message #87716 is a reply to message #87695] Fri, 06 April 2018 00:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jungle is currently offline  Jungle
Chancellor
I had a little bit of a hard time believing those numbers when I first saw them. Khanman, if you're right about how they're tracking television, that would make a lot more sense. I wish there were more details about their methods for getting the information. I went to their site to see the full study. I tried to download it but there was a request form and I wasn't sure what they were looking for there. I read somewhere that they were monitoring television viewing outside of the home. I don't know if that's all they did though.
Re: Just in case you thought radio wasn't popular anymore [message #87730 is a reply to message #87695] Fri, 06 April 2018 13:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EParkes is currently offline  EParkes
Chancellor
I guess it makes sense when you think about all of the people who have to commute to work. In the cities with heavy population numbers, messing around with a device (like your cell phone) is sure to get you in trouble. I'm remembering when I visited San Diego and made the drive up to LA. It took hours because of all the traffic. Some people do commutes like that every day. It makes sense that they would listen to a lot of radio on a daily basis. Then they have even less time at home to watch TV and all that.
Re: Just in case you thought radio wasn't popular anymore [message #87758 is a reply to message #87695] Sun, 08 April 2018 11:58 Go to previous message
lush is currently offline  lush
Chancellor
Now I feel a little silly for not analyzing the information provided better. I forgot to put it in context of advertisement reach. You guys are right, it makes sense that even if more advertisers can reach people through the radio, it doesn't mean that they're not watching more television.

Still, it shows that a lot of people are listening to the radio! I was surprised to see country music at the number one spot. What about you all?
Previous Topic: Antiques On Credit
Next Topic: Podcast Recommendations
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 17:06:33 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout