Home » Audio » General » Best $29.95 I ever spent in my audio hobby
Best $29.95 I ever spent in my audio hobby [message #877] Tue, 28 September 2004 08:59 Go to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
13 back issues of the Audio critic.
Accessible at:
www.theaudiocritic.com

If you are an audiophile, this is DEFINITELY, not probably, DEFINITELY, going to be the best $29.95 you will spend. At last, I found a magazine that attempts to put some science into audio.

Needless to say: highly recommended.
I subscribed to stereophile for a year, and then cancelled my subscription there (they still keep sending me issues and i still keep trashing them), and then went in search of a magazine I liked.

I now subscribe to
a) the audiocritic (got the back issues first, and happily sent my forward subscription as well) and
b) the sensible sound (www.sensiblesound.com).

REcommend both these mags, but again, the back issues of the audiocritic are MUST have items for any audiophile.
Enjoy!
-akhilesh

Re: Best $29.95 I ever spent in my audio hobby [message #878 is a reply to message #877] Tue, 28 September 2004 09:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Hi Ak; Only one caveat, The Sensibel Sound prints the same articles every month. J.R.

Re: Best $29.95 I ever spent in my audio hobby [message #883 is a reply to message #877] Wed, 29 September 2004 23:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tom1356 is currently offline  tom1356
Esquire
I just read their "10 biggest lies article" and if the rest of the magazine is simmilar you got ripped off.

Re: Best $29.95 I ever spent in my audio hobby [message #885 is a reply to message #883] Thu, 30 September 2004 07:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
That may be your opinion, Tom1356, and you are entitled to it. I disagree. I think it's the best $29.95 I ever spent, and the best money any audiophile will ever spend. Just my opinion. :-)
-akhilesh

Check this post out, it may give us more information [message #886 is a reply to message #883] Thu, 30 September 2004 07:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
http://www.audioroundtable.com/Tower/messages/236.html

Re: Best $29.95 I ever spent in my audio hobby [message #887 is a reply to message #885] Thu, 30 September 2004 09:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
I'm glad you're happy with your purchase. If the article I read was true it would make things much easier. Unfortunatly the article is very simplistic and dishonest. While I would never advocate spending a lot of money on cables, power conditioners, etc. There is no question that these things can improve the quality of an audio system. DIY is very inexpensive and can show you how things can change the sound.
If you follow the advice in the article you will be perfectly happy with a Wave radio because that's as good as it gets.

Re: Check this post out, it may give us more information [message #888 is a reply to message #886] Thu, 30 September 2004 10:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
Actually it just clouds the water. I have never used any of the products that Randi seeks to debunk. I don't know if they make any improvement or not. I would assume they don't, but I am skeptical by nature.
You should be cautious with your money and generous with your experimentation.

Re: Best $29.95 I ever spent in my audio hobby [message #889 is a reply to message #887] Thu, 30 September 2004 11:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
As much as I like to give people the benefit of the doubt on audio, I must agree with Tom; this guy Aczel has all the credibility of O'Jay Simpson. The rest of the Audio world has disenfranchised him and his ideas long ago. His periodic resurfacing from the depths of ignorance occurs every new generation until they wise up to his attention seeking antics and disregard his rediculous and childish self-promotion. Its the same old tired hackneyed flat-earth nonsense and by entertaining him we just waste opportunities to progress in this field.
There are lots of those old germanium transistor recievers out there, the Japanese dumped them on us with the fallacy of Vanishing Total Harmoronic Distortion while they bought up all those great sounding old tube amps from Fisher,and Scott and Harmon Kardon etc. Isn't it odd that years ago it was common to see a nice old console tube stereo with built in Turntable in the homes of your parents and neighbors. And to hear them being actually played on a regular basis in all those homes. Then right about the mid-seventies all of a sudden, POOF, everyone ran out and bought one of them thar new fangled transistor units, no distortion! Too bad as soon as you turned them up past go your ears would bleed. Funny how now most people don't even own a stereo, or they have a wave unit whatever that thing is. Gee, what happened?
Who needs an instant replay of Julian Hirsch; you can have it. I'll take music instead.

I disagree with your conclusions [message #890 is a reply to message #887] Thu, 30 September 2004 13:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
HI Tom,
I disagree with your conclusions re: that the logicalconclusion is that a wave radio is as good as it gets.

I like both magazines: the sensible sound and especially the audio critic, because they (esp the audio critic) try to be scientific in their approach to what sounds good and what does not. imho, there is a serious lack of anything remotely scientific in our hobby. Most of the letters praising Audio critic are from professionals & scientists.

I would simply say to everyone: spend the $29.95. You'll get 13 issues of a magazine that reviews hardware and writes about music. At the very least, you can see what many in the high end audio business are trying to make darn sure you do not see (not that i think the posters here are in that category of course).

Anyways, all i can do is recommend. It's up to others to take or disregard that.

:-)
-akhilesh

Re: Check this post out, it may give us more information [message #891 is a reply to message #888] Thu, 30 September 2004 13:20 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Thanks for the advice, Tom.
Randi is the guy who debunked Uri Geller, and has a standing prize for UFO spotters/psychics, etc to prove their abilities or sightings. He is quite well known as a rationalist.
Also, thanks for the note on being frugal with money....i am! HEnce my recommendation to spend $29.95 on 13 back isuues of a magazine that usually sunscribes for $6 an issue or $8 cover (the audio critic: accessible at www.theaudiocritic.com)
thanx
-akhilesh

Previous Topic: If you think you've had a bad day, have a look at this. very funny! :P
Next Topic: Triode & Co's David Cope to be married October 2
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 07 20:30:16 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout