Home » Audio » Speaker » Ceiling speakers
Ceiling speakers [message #87637] Mon, 02 April 2018 14:05 Go to next message
lush is currently offline  lush
Chancellor
I've been reading a lot of articles lately that say in-ceiling speakers are the way to go. What are your opinions about that? Would they really be that much better than upward-firing speakers?
Re: Ceiling speakers [message #87639 is a reply to message #87637] Mon, 02 April 2018 14:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Nope. The ceiling is the worst possible location for speakers, except maybe for surrounds. But even surrounds are better being mounted lower, preferably just a few feet above ear level. Mains should be nearly the same height as ear level.

There are very few sounds that naturally come from above. Most all sounds are generated by things at or near ground level, so the most realistic illusion is created when the main speakers are at this height too. Again, the only exception is surrounds, which do work best being above the listeners - but not overhead - to the sides (for five channel) and sometimes also behind (for seven channel).

Re: Ceiling speakers [message #87641 is a reply to message #87637] Mon, 02 April 2018 15:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Elerie90 is currently offline  Elerie90
Chancellor
I've been reading a lot about ceiling speakers as well, lush, but I wasn't too sure about them either. It seems like an unnatural direction for sound to travel, as Wayne pointed out. I wonder why they seem to be so popular. Maybe it all just boils down to aesthetics.
Re: Ceiling speakers [message #87658 is a reply to message #87641] Tue, 03 April 2018 00:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
J.Jacobs is currently offline  J.Jacobs
Chancellor
Elerie90 wrote on Mon, 02 April 2018 15:08
I've been reading a lot about ceiling speakers as well, lush, but I wasn't too sure about them either. It seems like an unnatural direction for sound to travel, as Wayne pointed out. I wonder why they seem to be so popular. Maybe it all just boils down to aesthetics.

It could just be aesthetics. It could also be an attempt to take up less space (which might qualify as aesthetics, I'm not sure).

Is there any time that in-ceiling speakers would be the best choice, maybe in a certain layout or something? or is it just a bad call no matter what?
Re: Ceiling speakers [message #87678 is a reply to message #87637] Wed, 04 April 2018 04:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SamW is currently offline  SamW
Baron
Are the speakers mounted so they hang from the ceiling or are they within the ceiling space? If the latter they might aid surround sound - I suppose it depends on the size of the room and the acoustics of the ceiling space.

Either way, I agree with Wayne that sound from above is not the best source.

Sam
Re: Ceiling speakers [message #87685 is a reply to message #87637] Wed, 04 April 2018 17:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
johnnycamp5 is currently offline  johnnycamp5
Grand Master
I have read about that as well, it doesn't make sense to me.
I believe there is some type of system using ceiling speakers called "atmos".

I wonder if perhaps subs (being low passed under the a-typical 80Hz) would work ceiling mounted, with localization or directional cues being mininmal
Re: Ceiling speakers [message #87686 is a reply to message #87685] Wed, 04 April 2018 17:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Subs act differently than mains or surrounds, since they energize (only) the room's modal region. And they're omnidirectional too, like you said. In this case, it's the room that creates the "directionality" in that it causes a "polka dotted" sound field because of interactions with reflections.

All that said, subs work best when distributed. The ceiling would be fine for one of them, maybe even a couple. The main thing with subs is that we spread 'em around.

Re: Ceiling speakers [message #87697 is a reply to message #87637] Thu, 05 April 2018 14:12 Go to previous message
lush is currently offline  lush
Chancellor
SamW, the ones I've seen most often are in-ceiling speakers, not hanging from the ceiling. I haven't really come across those, I don't think.

I'll have to look into the possibility of using a sub instead. That sounds like a good idea!
Previous Topic: Dead Spots
Next Topic: Earbuds for working out
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 11:30:30 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout