Home » Audio » General » MP3 player for older people ?
MP3 player for older people ? [message #87661] Tue, 03 April 2018 04:52 Go to next message
SamW is currently offline  SamW
Baron
I'm a visitor at the local retirement home where I chat and drink tea (or gin) with those who don't often or ever have visitors.

Recently, a lady received an MP3 player in the post. She loves the idea of being able to download audiobooks in particular. A few other residents want to do the same. However, the MP3 player that she had has very small controls and a small screen.

Does anybody know of any models that are suitable for people with impaired sensory skills such as sight and touch?

Sam
Re: MP3 player for older people ? [message #87687 is a reply to message #87661] Thu, 05 April 2018 03:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rarerat is currently offline  rarerat
Baron
I don't really know of any personally but this question intrigued me. It is something I'd never thought of but it made me want to find a useful MP3 player for my mom.

I found a couple of sites with useful information.

Graying With Grace has a good article and recommendations.

And Elderly Gadget : is a site that looks at MP3 players and other gadgets for the elderly.

Thank you for the idea.
Re: MP3 player for older people ? [message #87699 is a reply to message #87661] Thu, 05 April 2018 16:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, Nice sounding mp3 players are not significantly cheaper than some tablets. (yes you can get $10 ones) The Amazon Fire ones come to mind at under $50. Others are out there as well. Plus you get the benefit of a communication device/video viewer and so on. There are a number of easy to use music player apps for them.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: MP3 player for older people ? [message #87708 is a reply to message #87661] Thu, 05 April 2018 22:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EParkes is currently offline  EParkes
Chancellor
I came here to suggest the same thing as Bruce - tablets could be a good way to go. One of Amazon's Kindles or tablets could be a good way to go if they're getting audiobooks from Audible since everything should sync up nicely/be easy to access.

By the way, I think it's super sweet of you to visit them!
Re: MP3 player for older people ? [message #87722 is a reply to message #87661] Fri, 06 April 2018 10:33 Go to previous message
shadowplay is currently offline  shadowplay
Chancellor
Are you looking for items in a certain price range? There are some cheap MP3 players out there that have large screens and simplistic features that would be easy for them to navigate. However, those would require uploading MP3 files, which might be outside of their abilities. I think getting something with the Audible app (or whatever they use for purchasing their ebooks) is going to be the best option.
Previous Topic: First big audio purchase?
Next Topic: If you had $100, $500, $1000 to spend on audio/video purchase?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 14:18:57 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio