Home » Audio » Speaker » $27,000 Speakers!
$27,000 Speakers! [message #86972] Wed, 10 January 2018 15:11 Go to next message
Ziggy is currently offline  Ziggy
Chancellor
Has anyone ever heard of anything so silly? Why would a normal person try to spend that much on a speaker? Rich people might like these floor standing speakers and won't blink at the $27,000 but I don't know any of them!
Re: $27,000 Speakers! [message #86976 is a reply to message #86972] Thu, 11 January 2018 04:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pique is currently offline  Pique
Baron
If I had so much money that I wouldn't miss the $27,000, I'm sure I would buy them too! LOL. It must be great to be so rich that one can afford to spend so much money on such things.
Re: $27,000 Speakers! [message #86978 is a reply to message #86972] Thu, 11 January 2018 04:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tikki is currently offline  Tikki
Baron
I hear you, Pique. Those must be some real high quality speakers to command such a high price. I say if they can afford them, they should go ahead and buy them! I would do the same if I could.
Re: $27,000 Speakers! [message #86979 is a reply to message #86972] Thu, 11 January 2018 07:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
johnnycamp5 is currently offline  johnnycamp5
Grand Master
Some audiophiles have the funds to own costly speakers they can be proud of, nothing wrong with that.

In my experience, some very expensive speakers are the result of brand name, cabinet work, and the way they are finished.
They may not sound any better in your environment (or could sound worse) than a $700. set of tower speakers for instance.

I once owned (built) a pair almost identical to those linked, using even more expensive scan speak drivers.
Basically a dual, small woofer (bass array) with a nice mid-range and beryllium tweeter.
The enclosures were less fancy, but maybe not, as they had a nice piano black finish (that's a matter of taste)..

They were a proven design diy (supposedly), and still cost me over $4000. just for the drivers and crossovers, combined with lumber and finish materials, not including my time in labor to build them.

I was never happy with their sound, and sold them after a year or so. I found them to be very "un-exciting". I just could not get to enjoying them.
I now attribute that to their very low sensitivity.

It was a lesson learned for me, that I don't particularly care for the sound of low sensitivity speakers, requiring the need for tons of (solid state) watts/power.

I recommend anyone looking to buy very expensive consumer grade speakers, to be sure of what type of speaker you enjoy the sound of (low sensitivity vs. high) before investing.

Low sensitivity tower speakers like these can be
"all bark and no bite" LOL!

Re: $27,000 Speakers! [message #87112 is a reply to message #86972] Mon, 22 January 2018 09:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Perfect Storm is currently offline  Perfect Storm
Baron
Uh, wow! I can't tell you how furious I would be if I forked over $27,000 and the sound quality wasn't any better than a $700 one! I'll have to figure out if I'm more of a low or high sensitivity kind of gal before I invest a lot of money into one. Thanks for the tip!
Re: $27,000 Speakers! [message #87560 is a reply to message #86972] Mon, 26 March 2018 14:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jungle is currently offline  Jungle
Chancellor
I can't believe that there are speakers out there that cost this much. I hope that anyone who purchases it is pleased with their experience. I don't know if I could stomach spending that much personally. I could do $4,000, for the right speakers, but how much time did it take to build yours, Johnny? (I'm sorry they didn't end up panning out for you.)
Re: $27,000 Speakers! [message #87570 is a reply to message #86972] Tue, 27 March 2018 07:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
johnnycamp5 is currently offline  johnnycamp5
Grand Master
They did take a good bit of time for me to build.

Mainly because they had a tapered (leaning back toward the top) front baffle, making it more time consuming compared to a square or rectangular enclosure.

They also had multiple braces throughout, which also had to be cut at the correct angle for the taper.

They were nice to look at, but it's the sound that we (most of us?) build our loudspeakers for.

It's too bad they were so lifeless (un-dynamic) to listen to.
Re: $27,000 Speakers! [message #87623 is a reply to message #86972] Sun, 01 April 2018 06:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rarerat is currently offline  rarerat
Baron
That is a crazy amount to pay for speakers. I thought maybe you were going to tell a joke when I saw the title. Sadly, I do believe there are people who would pay that amount. They'd be rich enough not to miss the money and would probably enjoy letting slip what they'd paid.

I've not yet built any speakers, but my dad used to make speakers from the old tube radios that he found in second-hand shops. The quality seemed great to me at the time (this was in the 1980's). And he once sold a set of 4 that he'd made for 25$
Re: $27,000 Speakers! [message #87645 is a reply to message #86972] Mon, 02 April 2018 19:42 Go to previous message
hudelson2 is currently offline  hudelson2
Esquire
For that kind of money I would make a triamped system. That way each amplifier could be optimized for each speaker range. The amplified for the woofer(s) could be class D to power low efficiency woofer(s) that are needed to get deep bass from a reasonably sized enclosure. Amplifiers for the midrange and tweeter could be low power Class A amplifiers since the midrange and tweeter could be high efficiency.

Since there would be no inductors or capacitors (except for a possible blocking capacitor for the tweeter) the amplifiers would not have to deal with wildly varying phase angles between voltage and current. This would result in a much cleaner sound.
Previous Topic: Apple Homepod
Next Topic: Dead Spots
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 08:04:46 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout