Home » Audio » Source » How do you store your digital music?
How do you store your digital music? [message #87583] Tue, 27 March 2018 20:25 Go to next message
TheRepublic is currently offline  TheRepublic
Esquire
I've been using iTunes for years now. I never used to have any problems with it. But in the last couple of years, things have changed. I've noticed that when I go upgrade my iTunes or computer, random files will go missing. These aren't even just songs that I've bought through iTunes, but songs I've uploaded from my CD collection. It's making me trust the whole system less and less. Does anyone here store their digital files from iTunes on something other than the Cloud?
Re: How do you store your digital music? [message #87664 is a reply to message #87583] Tue, 03 April 2018 10:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Strum Drum is currently offline  Strum Drum
Master
I use iTunes as well, but I also store music on my computer and back it up to an external hard drive too. I haven't noticed songs missing from my library, but I don't usually pay attention to that. Is the music being pulled from your account or just the device itself?
Re: How do you store your digital music? [message #87701 is a reply to message #87583] Thu, 05 April 2018 16:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, I use DVDs and CDs to store music. When stuff is on the cloud it is really not in your control...it is in the control of the server and while generally safe, it has been known to have issues on occasion. A good alternative to the cloud which I also use is to store music on external USB drives. 1 TB drives are dirt cheap now and you can put a lot of files on one. Just copy the music to your player when wanted.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: How do you store your digital music? [message #87759 is a reply to message #87583] Sun, 08 April 2018 12:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lush is currently offline  lush
Chancellor
I've had that happen to me too! I don't think I've ever lost music that I purchased through iTunes, but definitely songs that I've uploaded myself. It's only happened a couple of times, but that's enough for me. I store everything on a USB now, just like the other posters. It's really the only way to go these days.
Re: How do you store your digital music? [message #87915 is a reply to message #87583] Tue, 01 May 2018 12:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Soundcheck12 is currently offline  Soundcheck12
Chancellor
I have about three places where I keep my mp3s so if one storage device dies, I still have the other two. My primary source is my phone, secondary source is my computer at work and last source is my external hard drive at home. So far, so go.
Re: How do you store your digital music? [message #87922 is a reply to message #87583] Wed, 02 May 2018 16:26 Go to previous message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, As I wrote earlier I never store anything on the cloud. It seems that the number of issues cropping up is getting larger all the time. With external USB back up drives so cheap now (1TB for under $60 and 2TB for not much more) I use them for storage of my music files. The stuff on the PC and player (I use a FIIO X3) is swapped out for new stuff about once a month from the USB drives. With the many thousand files I have...I don't trust the cloud. Some of my earlier files are stored on cds and dvd as data files. Storing things in the cd format limits the format to that for playing music and is not sufficient for some of my higher resolution files. Many are in 24/96 format and would be degraded as cd music files. For much home listening I use vinyl. Most are not digitized and with care can be played a lot of times on good gear (mine is). Probably in the 1000s range before any sonic issues are noted so there is no need to copy them. BTW most new vinyl comes with digital copies either on a cd or from the web. I also use reel to reel tape for some music. At 7.5 inches per second a standard 1200 foot tape will handle 30 minutes per side. The resolution and quality is very hard to tell from the original source (usually vinyl). As a purely analog method it avoids any possibility of the digitizing process screwing something up.

Good Listening
Bruce
Previous Topic: Contemporary record players with "vintage" feel
Next Topic: Best way to store vinyl?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 05:09:14 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers