Home » Audio » Radio » Why Not Go Back Farther?
Why Not Go Back Farther? [message #86065] Tue, 05 September 2017 09:29 Go to next message
decibel 12 is currently offline  decibel 12
Baron
This is 2017. Every radio station that plays "oldies" only go as far back as the '60's. Do you know of anyone who has tried to get a radio station going that played music from the '20's to the '40's? Are there online stations that do this?

I understand that most people who grew up listening to music from those era's are gone now, so stations could not appeal to that demographic. Some of us though would like easy access to those era's just to hear what was put out.

What do you think? Would you get a kick out of hearing the number one song from Sept. of 1935?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=3&v=WOYzFKizikU
Re: Why Not Go Back Farther? [message #86069 is a reply to message #86065] Tue, 05 September 2017 16:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

On AM radio, there are a handful of stations that play music and talk radio programs from that era. The stations I'm familiar with (KFAQ in Tulsa and KURM in Northwestern Arkansas) have one or two hour programs on the weekend that broadcast various programs from the pre-WWII era.

Re: Why Not Go Back Farther? [message #86084 is a reply to message #86065] Thu, 07 September 2017 19:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sawyer25 is currently offline  sawyer25
Master
There are quite a number of stations that play music from that era but I guess there aren't many. There's nothing wrong with listening to music from that period, only that millennials will suppose you're nuts. I'm just curious to hear what it sounded like back then.
Re: Why Not Go Back Farther? [message #86101 is a reply to message #86084] Tue, 12 September 2017 16:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi. I believe the web version of XM carries some. I believe you can get it without having a satellite account. They were offering it separately.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Why Not Go Back Farther? [message #86182 is a reply to message #86065] Sat, 23 September 2017 00:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Charlie82 is currently offline  Charlie82
Baron
This has always bothered me too. For whatever reason I love music from the 20s and 30s. I have one local radio station that plays 20s music constantly and it's great. I will have to check out the web version of XM to see if they have more.

I don't know why the cutoff is the 60s. I guess, like you said, the people who grew up listening to that music are probably gone. However, people who have parents that would've listened to that music and probably played it around their children are still around. You think it could still provide some nostalgia for people.

I assume nostalgia is the primary reason people listen to these decade stations (or just to go back to a time when music was good), but surely there's more to it than just that. I don't think it'd be a costly venture either so I'm really not sure what's holding them back.
Re: Why Not Go Back Farther? [message #86187 is a reply to message #86182] Sat, 23 September 2017 23:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ziggy is currently offline  Ziggy
Chancellor
Wow, I really love big band music. I guess I was just born at the wrong time for my soul. I always get so excited when I hear stuff from that era. I hope it never goes away!
Re: Why Not Go Back Farther? [message #87461 is a reply to message #86065] Thu, 15 March 2018 15:33 Go to previous message
Silver is currently offline  Silver
Viscount
Just out of curiosity one day I started listening to old blues on You Tube from that time frame. There were some pretty raunchy songs back then that could be classified as the audio version of x-rated.

No filters.
Previous Topic: Radio totally devoted to Audiophiles
Next Topic: Antiques On Credit
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 10:35:34 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers