Home » Audio » Pro Sound » Removing background noise
Removing background noise [message #87258] Wed, 21 February 2018 21:28 Go to next message
Reinhardt is currently offline  Reinhardt
Chancellor
I've been using Audacity. It works alright, but I've noticed that while it removes most of my background noise it sometimes replaces it with another very subtle noise. Has anyone else run into this problem with Audacity? Are there any other free tools for background noise removal that I should look into?
Re: Removing background noise [message #87263 is a reply to message #87258] Thu, 22 February 2018 08:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leot55 is currently offline  Leot55
Master
What type of noise are you trying to remove? Are we talking about a hum/hiss or something more jarring like a phone ringing or a dog barking?
Re: Removing background noise [message #87281 is a reply to message #87258] Mon, 26 February 2018 09:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Reinhardt is currently offline  Reinhardt
Chancellor
Ha, sorry, that was a pretty open-ended question, huh? I meant things like hums, hisses, and other minor background noises. Although I'd be open to hearing about any solutions for either issue!
Re: Removing background noise [message #87308 is a reply to message #87258] Wed, 28 February 2018 22:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Spidey is currently offline  Spidey
Chancellor
Audacity seems like the go-to for free products that do this. I don't really know of any other alternatives. I've seen some similar complaints though. Some people fixed it by updating to the most recent version. Are you using 2.2.2? If you're willing to pay, Adobe Audition is excellent. It's on sale right now for $19.99/month if you want to give it a go. I don't think they do free trials for this program but I could be wrong!
Re: Removing background noise [message #87386 is a reply to message #87308] Tue, 06 March 2018 16:09 Go to previous message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, I use it and have not had it add any noise. You might be using too small a sample rate. I use only 24/96 and 24/192 for input. It internally appears to use 32/XXX for making the changes. Exactly what sort of noise is it adding in your usage? What are you feeding in? What are you desiring as output? If you have hi-rez inputs and want say CD output format (or gasp! MP3) it will probably be noisier.

Good Listening
Bruce
Previous Topic: Turntablism
Next Topic: Where can I find affordable music books
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 01:36:43 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers