Home » Audio » Silicon Valley » Are amps improving?
Are amps improving? [message #87377] Tue, 06 March 2018 14:12 Go to next message
SpeakUp is currently offline  SpeakUp
Chancellor
I've read a few articles claiming that, while there's a lot of development in audio technology, amps have more or less remained the same over the years. I think most of them have said that amps today are just as good as (or worse than) amps that were made twenty years ago. Is that true?
Re: Are amps improving? [message #87384 is a reply to message #87377] Tue, 06 March 2018 15:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, It kind of depends on what you call improving. Solid state ones are now cheaper and in many ways better than the really early ones. However I sense a plateau on them that is about 5-10 years old. Very small improvements that are unlikely to be noticed. I doubt that there is anyone alive that can hear the difference between 0.1% distortion and 0.05%. Same for a number of other parameters. IMO there has been an improvement in tube based amps. New designs and better components have upped the game there. Cost has not gone down though.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Are amps improving? [message #92582 is a reply to message #87377] Sat, 07 November 2020 19:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tom-m is currently offline  tom-m
Baron
I believe class D amps have made big quality improvements over the last 10 years, or so.
Re: Are amps improving? [message #92742 is a reply to message #92582] Wed, 09 December 2020 14:22 Go to previous message
johnnycamp5 is currently offline  johnnycamp5
Grand Master
tom-m wrote on Sat, 07 November 2020 20:33
I believe class D amps have made big quality improvements over the last 10 years, or so.
That would be good news.
Their efficiency, light weight and power are hard to beat.

Ive got a couple Crown amps (XLS drivecore 1002) that are only a few years old.
They seem to work quite well for my subwoofers.

In my room, and to my ears, they are basically un-listenable for my left and right mains (horns) though...
Previous Topic: Different classes
Next Topic: Hybrid amps
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 16:14:53 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout