Home » Audio » Movies & Music » Best Original Score
Best Original Score [message #87247] Sat, 17 February 2018 23:52 Go to next message
monster is currently offline  monster
Chancellor
The Oscars are coming up, so before they declare a winner, I'm curious who you all think deserves to take home the award. The nominees are:

Alexandre Desplat for The Shape of Water
Jonny Greenwood for Phantom Thread
Hans Zimmer for Dunkirk
Carter Burwell for Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
John Williams for Star Wars: The Last Jedi

While John Williams will never cease to amaze me, I think Alexandre Desplat is going to take home the award. The score in that movie is fantastic.

What do you all think?

Re: Best Original Score [message #87249 is a reply to message #87247] Mon, 19 February 2018 20:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Reinhardt is currently offline  Reinhardt
Chancellor
I honestly haven't seen any of these movies. I have to say that you can never go wrong with the John Williams and Star Wars combination though. I'll have to give these scores a listen before the awards show. I used to follow The Oscars pretty seriously, but I just haven't been interested in a lot of movies lately...at least not the kind of movies that usually get nods from The Academy.
Re: Best Original Score [message #87276 is a reply to message #87249] Sun, 25 February 2018 23:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
monster is currently offline  monster
Chancellor
You're right, Williams and Star Wars (or anything) is usually a winning combination. I definitely wouldn't be shocked if he got it, but something tells me that he's not going to get it this year. I'm notorious for being terrible at predicting Oscar winners though, so don't pay me too much attention. If it makes you feel any better, I haven't seen a lot of movies this year either. You should check out Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri if you want to see at least one movie up for Best Picture. It was great!
Re: Best Original Score [message #87345 is a reply to message #87276] Sat, 03 March 2018 12:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leot55 is currently offline  Leot55
Master
My wife agrees with your prediction, Monster. Alexandre Desplat will win due to the originality and depth of expression.

I'm a fan of the Star Wars franchise and I know that John Williams added his own spin on things, but in my opinion it's still more of the same. I believe he will win because of the hype surrounding the franchise.
Re: Best Original Score [message #87354 is a reply to message #87345] Sat, 03 March 2018 20:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EasyE is currently offline  EasyE
Chancellor
Leot55 wrote on Sat, 03 March 2018 12:19
My wife agrees with your prediction, Monster. Alexandre Desplat will win due to the originality and depth of expression.

I'm a fan of the Star Wars franchise and I know that John Williams added his own spin on things, but in my opinion, it's still more of the same. I believe he will win because of the hype surrounding the franchise.

I agree with you. I think that it's just a rehash of scores from the other movies. I don't know if it's original enough at this point to be deserving of an Oscar. The franchise is popular, but I don't know if that's enough to get him the award. I think they could win the awards for sound editing and sound mixing though.
Re: Best Original Score [message #87357 is a reply to message #87354] Sun, 04 March 2018 09:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Madison is currently offline  Madison
Grand Master
I think Hans Zimmer's Dunkirk stands a chance. The soundtrack is dramatic. I've only seen it and the latest edition of Star Wars though, so not much to compare it to. I guess we'll see tonight.
Re: Best Original Score [message #87361 is a reply to message #87357] Sun, 04 March 2018 19:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SpeakUp is currently offline  SpeakUp
Chancellor
Madison wrote on Sun, 04 March 2018 09:34
I think Hans Zimmer's Dunkirk stands a chance. The soundtrack is dramatic. I've only seen it and the latest edition of Star Wars though, so not much to compare it to. I guess we'll see tonight.

That's actually who I want to win. I don't know if it's likely that Dunkirk will win. It's been overshadowed by the other nominees, but anything could happen. I think it's beautiful, even when you're just listening to the music on its own. It's freaking magical in conjunction with the film.
Re: Best Original Score [message #87366 is a reply to message #87357] Sun, 04 March 2018 20:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
johnson93 is currently offline  johnson93
Chancellor
Does anyone have any last minute predictions for Best Original Song? I think "Remember Me" is going to take it.

For Best Original Score, I think I'm going to say that John Williams is going to take it even if I don't think he should. It's hard to argue with John Williams winning this award, in my opinion.
Re: Best Original Score [message #87373 is a reply to message #87247] Mon, 05 March 2018 13:35 Go to previous message
EasyE is currently offline  EasyE
Chancellor
Congratulations to those who called The Shape of Water taking the win! This is really the only category I cared about, to be honest. Although now I feel like I have to watch the movie to get the full feel of the score. Has anyone seen it? Nice job on your prediction too, Johnson.
Previous Topic: TV shows with great soundtracks
Next Topic: Music Appreciation
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 06:40:13 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout