Home » Audio » General » First big audio purchase?
Re: First big audio purchase? [message #87329 is a reply to message #86652] Fri, 02 March 2018 11:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
monster is currently offline  monster
Chancellor
I'm going to second what Bruce said and say that buying secondhand speakers can definitely be iffy. I did that recently and I'm regretting it. I wish I'd just invested in new speakers to begin with. I'll have to look into the options Bruce suggested since they're supposed to be cost-efficient. An integrated receiver sounds like it might be next big purchase after the speakers.
Re: First big audio purchase? [message #87343 is a reply to message #87329] Sat, 03 March 2018 11:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I generally agree that buying used speakers is risky. They're electro-mechanical and can be potentially subjected to the most abuse, which is sometimes not obvious to the eye.

There are two execeptions. First is if you know the history of the speaker very well and/or have the ability to measure it. Those kinds of things can raise confidence. The second exception is where drivers have factory-manufactured recone kits available. This is rare - most companies don't make available recone kits for their drivers. But some do, and where that's possible, you can buy a speaker with the understanding that you'll have it reconed to make it 100% refurbished, good as new.

I'd also swap the capacitors in the crossover if buying used, just to make sure those are undamaged high-quality parts. I recommend only using poly caps in loudspeaker crossovers. Always replace any non-polarized electrolytic caps with polypropylene capacitors. They're much better.

Re: First big audio purchase? [message #87620 is a reply to message #86652] Sat, 31 March 2018 08:36 Go to previous message
SamW is currently offline  SamW
Baron
My first big audio purchase was surround sound Band and Olufsen speakers. I was a student and I used most of my student grant on the speakers. The trouble caused at home was worth it because my superior sound made my parties very popular. Years later I still have a soft spot for B&O and am looking at their Bluetooth options.

Sam
Previous Topic: Lossless audio and streaming services
Next Topic: MP3 player for older people ?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 19:00:10 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio