Home » Audio » Room Acoustics » Best Acoustic Tricks
Best Acoustic Tricks [message #86838] Thu, 21 December 2017 13:18 Go to next message
Aria is currently offline  Aria
Baron
There's a thread about the most common acoustics tricks that don't work and I've learned some interesting stuff from it. But what are the best tricks that DO work out there?
Re: Best Acoustic Tricks [message #86919 is a reply to message #86838] Mon, 01 January 2018 01:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Strum Drum is currently offline  Strum Drum
Master
To the best of my knowledge sound panels work well. We had them all over our high school band room. They absorb sound and if large enough, negate the echo effect.
Re: Best Acoustic Tricks [message #87155 is a reply to message #86838] Mon, 29 January 2018 09:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tikki is currently offline  Tikki
Baron
I'm not an expert, but from what I've been gathering just going around this site and reading other threads, it's probably best to consider the room first before you decide which strategies will be effective.
Re: Best Acoustic Tricks [message #87197 is a reply to message #86838] Sun, 04 February 2018 16:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pique is currently offline  Pique
Baron
I read an article online which stated that the best way to get sound quality was to use rugs on the walls, and then another article said that was ineffective. There's just too much conflicting information online these days. I don't know what to believe anymore.
Re: Best Acoustic Tricks [message #87240 is a reply to message #87197] Sat, 17 February 2018 15:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Silver is currently offline  Silver
Viscount
The size of the room plays a large part in this. As does the shape. The larger the room, the more dampeners you will want.
Re: Best Acoustic Tricks [message #87254 is a reply to message #87240] Wed, 21 February 2018 13:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leonardo is currently offline  Leonardo
Chancellor
Silver, I know about how the size of the room plays a part in all of this, but how does the shape of the room change things?
Re: Best Acoustic Tricks [message #87272 is a reply to message #86838] Sun, 25 February 2018 11:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Silver is currently offline  Silver
Viscount
The best example I can give concerns a type of room I have never seen before. (Trust me....this goes somewhere).

This concerns something you cannot see. Soundwaves. They do have a physical property though, in that they bounce off of things. Walls, car interiors, your eardrums......An acoustic sound is going to lose some of its quality when it has to bounce off of hard corners. In a room that is totally circular however, this isn't going to happen. The sound waves are not "bouncing" off of anything, rather they are "rolling" around the room.

So to assume soundwaves are not going to lose quality when they bump up against something like a sharp corner, is to assume that nothing bad will happen when it does something unnatural to its very nature. This is why the shape of a room is important. It will determine how you are going to "dampen" the corners in conjunction to where you have to put the speakers. And if you have 8 foot ceilings, 4 speakers that are 4 feet high and each one is in each corner? Half the battle is won right away. Just don't point them directly at each other, Tilt them a little off the 45 degree angle. That way the sound is rolling around the room instead of bouncing off of itself.

That would just be weird. Laughing

The soundwaves coming out of your speakers........? You want your room to be as accomodating to them as possible if you want to experience the full sound that your system has to offer.

Credit.............

I got this advice when I was a teenager. He was an old timer in the Missouri Ozarks, in a house pretty far away from other people, who listened to nothing but Hawaiian music. Strange, was a good way to describe him. I have tried this advice out from time to time and it does seem to make a difference.
Re: Best Acoustic Tricks [message #87374 is a reply to message #87197] Mon, 05 March 2018 14:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
musicmarie is currently offline  musicmarie
Esquire
Pique wrote on Sun, 04 February 2018 16:24
I read an article online which stated that the best way to get sound quality was to use rugs on the walls, and then another article said that was ineffective. There's just too much conflicting information online these days. I don't know what to believe anymore.

They say that softer objects absorb sound faster, so I guess the range of different carpet types is what would affect peoples opinion on how effective it is.

Re: Best Acoustic Tricks [message #87405 is a reply to message #87272] Thu, 08 March 2018 15:18 Go to previous message
EasyE is currently offline  EasyE
Chancellor
Silver wrote on Sun, 25 February 2018 11:20
The best example I can give concerns a type of room I have never seen before. (Trust me....this goes somewhere).

This concerns something you cannot see. Soundwaves. They do have a physical property though, in that they bounce off of things. Walls, car interiors, your eardrums......An acoustic sound is going to lose some of its quality when it has to bounce off of hard corners. In a room that is totally circular however, this isn't going to happen. The sound waves are not "bouncing" off of anything, rather they are "rolling" around the room.

So to assume soundwaves are not going to lose quality when they bump up against something like a sharp corner, is to assume that nothing bad will happen when it does something unnatural to its very nature. This is why the shape of a room is important. It will determine how you are going to "dampen" the corners in conjunction to where you have to put the speakers. And if you have 8 foot ceilings, 4 speakers that are 4 feet high and each one is in each corner? Half the battle is won right away. Just don't point them directly at each other, Tilt them a little off the 45 degree angle. That way the sound is rolling around the room instead of bouncing off of itself.

That would just be weird. Laughing

The soundwaves coming out of your speakers........? You want your room to be as accomodating to them as possible if you want to experience the full sound that your system has to offer.

Credit.............

I got this advice when I was a teenager. He was an old timer in the Missouri Ozarks, in a house pretty far away from other people, who listened to nothing but Hawaiian music. Strange, was a good way to describe him. I have tried this advice out from time to time and it does seem to make a difference.

Wow, Silver. That is such a thorough answer and even a newbie like myself was able to follow it. Thank you so much for writing all of that out in a way that's so easy to digest. I'll have to keep that in mind for the future.

Also, the old-timer you describe sounds absolutely amazing. I wish I could meet him. He sounds like a real treat.
Previous Topic: Rugs
Next Topic: How to deaden sound for neighbors?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 07:01:10 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio