Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » Western Electric 80th anniversary "300B" tube (WE re-release)
Western Electric 80th anniversary "300B" tube [message #87122] Tue, 23 January 2018 07:42 Go to next message
johnnycamp5  is currently offline johnnycamp5
Master
Here we go again!

Shocked

https://parttimeaudiophile.com/2018/01/21/western-electric-announce-300b-to-re-enter-production-launch-of-new-amplifier/amp/
Re: Western Electric 80th anniversary "300B" tube [message #87124 is a reply to message #87122 ] Tue, 23 January 2018 11:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham  is currently offline Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Wow! How cool! Thanks for the heads-up!

Re: Western Electric 80th anniversary "300B" tube [message #87126 is a reply to message #87124 ] Tue, 23 January 2018 15:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99  is currently offline gofar99
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Perhaps, Where will they actually be made and really by whom. The original fabricating gear is probably long gone as are the original materials the tubes were made from. I have heard stuff like this before and usually it doesn't live up the promises. But then in this case I must state that I am not fond of the directly heated triode magic that some hear. I figure that highish levels of second harmonic distortion (that some say sound nice) is still distortion and to be avoided. Confused

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Western Electric 80th anniversary "300B" tube [message #87128 is a reply to message #87122 ] Tue, 23 January 2018 15:32 Go to previous message
johnnycamp5  is currently offline johnnycamp5
Master
Yup.
They're really hyping it up, and we know the mystique and hype that comes with the WE's.

Here is one of the claims about the tooling and materials-

Quote- "The current tube enjoys a vacuum that is at least two decades lower (2x10**-6) Torr than previous runs due to the employment of turbomolecular vacuum pumps, resulting in longer life. Although the tube is newly produced, the filamentary cathode core material is from the original WE inventory derived from a 1963 melt from the Western Electric Hawthorne Works in Chicago. The tooling used in the manufacture of WE 300-Bs is original equipment, some going back as far as 1943."

http://www.westernelectric.com/products/300b.html

Nice cherry wood box, and to describe the highs as sounding "transparent, lovely, sweet, burnished and beautifully seductive"?

Burnished Laughing

I guess I shouldn't judge though, as I've never owned a pair.
Previous Topic:Headphone Amplifier
Next Topic:Why parafeed?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Jul 16 09:28:56 CDT 2018

Sponsoring Organizations

AudioKinesis
AudioKinesis
BuildAnAmp.com
BuildAnAmp.com
Crescendo Systems
Crescendo Systems
DIY Audio Projects