Home » Audio » Home Theater » Buy components separately?
Buy components separately? [message #87089] Fri, 19 January 2018 13:30 Go to next message
Aria is currently offline  Aria
Baron
Do you think it's best to mix and match your home theater components, like your subwoofers and front and surround speakers? Or do you usually just buy speakers and woofers that are packaged together?
Re: Buy components separately? [message #87090 is a reply to message #87089] Fri, 19 January 2018 15:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Companies specialize.

The best speakers aren't made by the best amplifier companies.
The best amplifiers aren't made by the best monitor/television companies.
The best BluRay players aren't made by the best speaker companies.

So while I think you can do pretty well from buying all components from one company, you can't get the best stuff all from one company.

Because of that, I chose components from the companies that I think make the best equipment in their market for my price point.

Sometimes there are several good choices. Sometimes not.

Re: Buy components separately? [message #87093 is a reply to message #87090] Sat, 20 January 2018 20:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, I'm with Wayne on this. I go for what I figure will best do what I want at a price I can pay. Vintage or new really makes no difference. Modern ESL speakers, vintage speakers with new drivers, vintage turntables with new arms and cartridges, newer Blueray player, and so on. I do have one advantage though...I design and build all the electronics (amps, preamps, phono preamps - all use tubes). Rolling Eyes

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Buy components separately? [message #87130 is a reply to message #87089] Wed, 24 January 2018 09:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Aria is currently offline  Aria
Baron
Thanks so much for the help, you guys! I totally get what you're saying. I'll have to make sure and shop around for separate components as well to see what the best I can get for my price range is. I'll make sure to check out some vintage pieces as well, Bruce. I wish I had your advantage! Maybe I'll get to designing and building all my electronics one day.
Re: Buy components separately? [message #87143 is a reply to message #87089] Fri, 26 January 2018 18:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lohan is currently offline  Lohan
Chancellor
That seems to make a lot of sense, but also it would require you to have deep knowledge about the stuff you're buying, otherwise you run the risk of getting all the wrong things from all the different places.
Re: Buy components separately? [message #87554 is a reply to message #87143] Mon, 26 March 2018 13:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
J.Jacobs is currently offline  J.Jacobs
Chancellor
Lohan wrote on Fri, 26 January 2018 18:50
That seems to make a lot of sense, but also it would require you to have deep knowledge about the stuff you're buying, otherwise you run the risk of getting all the wrong things from all the different places.

That's true, Lohan. Really though, these purchases require a lot of research anyway. I think the extra effort would be well worth it. Whenever I buy a set of something, audio or otherwise, I always find at least one or two things to be subpar and end up purchasing a replacement.
Re: Buy components separately? [message #87574 is a reply to message #87554] Tue, 27 March 2018 12:47 Go to previous message
ABtoJayZ is currently offline  ABtoJayZ
Chancellor
J.Jacobs wrote on Mon, 26 March 2018 13:14
Whenever I buy a set of something, audio or otherwise, I always find at least one or two things to be subpar and end up purchasing a replacement.

I'm the exact same way. I'm trying to recall buying a set of anything and being happy with every single product. I'm having a lot of trouble. Ultimately, I think you save money (and are happier with your purchase) when you pick each item individually.
Previous Topic: Custom home theater room
Next Topic: Google Chromecast
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 10:11:25 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout