Home » Audio » General » Aren't bluetooth and WiFi features the same thing?
Aren't bluetooth and WiFi features the same thing? [message #86725] Sun, 10 December 2017 17:13 Go to next message
Strum Drum is currently offline  Strum Drum
Master
I went to Best Buy to get a movie projector and noticed some of them claim to be both Wifi and Bluetooth 4.0 compatible ("compatible" might not be the right word). Aren't they essentially the same thing - no wires required?
Re: Aren't bluetooth and WiFi features the same thing? [message #86727 is a reply to message #86725] Sun, 10 December 2017 18:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Perfect Storm is currently offline  Perfect Storm
Baron
They're close to the same thing. I think it used to be a bigger deal before pretty much every smartphone came with wifi. There might still be people out there who don't have it on their phones. This might help you out.
Re: Aren't bluetooth and WiFi features the same thing? [message #86738 is a reply to message #86727] Tue, 12 December 2017 22:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Strum Drum is currently offline  Strum Drum
Master
Okay, I got'cha. I thought it might just be a way to fluff up its selling features. Thanks for sharing the link! I like how simply they explain things.
Re: Aren't bluetooth and WiFi features the same thing? [message #86744 is a reply to message #86738] Wed, 13 December 2017 13:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Charlie82 is currently offline  Charlie82
Baron
Strum Drum wrote on Tue, 12 December 2017 22:40
Okay, I got'cha. I thought it might just be a way to fluff up its selling features. Thanks for sharing the link! I like how simply they explain things.

In this day and age, it almost seems that way. Anyone here have anything they use on bluetooth that doesn't connect to wireless or is this becoming obsolete in the audio world?
Re: Aren't bluetooth and WiFi features the same thing? [message #86748 is a reply to message #86725] Wed, 13 December 2017 17:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pique is currently offline  Pique
Baron
I think you may be right that it's becoming obsolete in the audio world. I guess that is just the way technology goes. In today, out tomorrow.
Re: Aren't bluetooth and WiFi features the same thing? [message #87007 is a reply to message #86725] Sun, 14 January 2018 18:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Zohanna is currently offline  Zohanna
Baron
The biggest changes in any kind of equipment these days is the fact that it is "smart" and "connects" to all your other "smart" devices. I can't wait until a few years have gone buy with IoT.
Re: Aren't bluetooth and WiFi features the same thing? [message #87008 is a reply to message #86725] Mon, 15 January 2018 05:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tikki is currently offline  Tikki
Baron
I suppose that even thought bluetooth and wifi are essentially for providing wireless communication, the main difference is in what they are designed to do and how they are used.
Re: Aren't bluetooth and WiFi features the same thing? [message #87022 is a reply to message #86725] Tue, 16 January 2018 02:45 Go to previous message
Kitt is currently offline  Kitt
Baron
They are similar, but different in use. Bluetooth is used to connect two or more devices without cables, while wifi provides high-speed access to the internet.
Previous Topic: Sound Matters Podcast
Next Topic: Self-hosting streaming apps
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 18:02:30 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout