Home » Audio » Source » Digital music unpopular with audiophiles
Digital music unpopular with audiophiles [message #86823] Tue, 19 December 2017 12:16 Go to next message
Lost the Remote is currently offline  Lost the Remote
Master
Why does digital music appear to be so unpopular among audio aficionados? I've recently discovered vinyl records and although I'm no expert, I think music sounds richer on vinyl. The sound most closely resembles live music. I don't understand the appeal of CDs (they scratch/skip) or tapes (rewinding nightmare and they warp). Likewise, I don't understand the dislike of digital music which sounds the same as what you'll hear on CDs and tapes. What are my ears missing?
Re: Digital music unpopular with audiophiles [message #86917 is a reply to message #86823] Mon, 01 January 2018 01:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Strum Drum is currently offline  Strum Drum
Master
Now, I'm not certain here, but I believe digital music misses the complete sound wave and the elevation can lead to digital noise. I guess it lacks depth overall.
Re: Digital music unpopular with audiophiles [message #86941 is a reply to message #86823] Wed, 03 January 2018 17:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tikki is currently offline  Tikki
Baron
I don't know what the difference is, either, but from what I've read about digital music as compared to vynil, I think Strum Drum has a point as a vynil record is an analog recording, while digital recording doesn't capture the entire sound wave.
Re: Digital music unpopular with audiophiles [message #86942 is a reply to message #86941] Wed, 03 January 2018 20:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, An endless argument. I personally prefer analog sound, but not necessarily because digital is inferior. There are differences. Most analog music is on either vinyl or tape. Both media are flawed when compared to high resolution digital. More noise, more distortion and usually less linearity. However a vast percentage of my music collection is analog. Nearly everything recorded before the advent of CDs was analog. So anything that is from then (from that time period) regardless of what format it is on now will have the flaws of the original recordings. Good record playing systems can play a record many hundreds of times without noticeable degradation. Poor systems get few plays before damage to the disk occurs. Digital copies ought not ever degrade...at least in theory. In the early days of CDs there were problems with the sound quality. Various audible issues were common. Since then things have improved dramatically. Current high resolution recordings played on quality gear are quite excellent. IMO it is pretty much indistinguishable from the real thing in most cases. So while both are now mature methods for sound reproduction they do sound differently. It somewhat goes back to personal preference. BTW my personal preference is for all tube electronics as well. That too is a somewhat similar situation. I believe that the basic premise that audiophiles don't like digital music is not true....at least for high resolution recordings. For low resolution ones like MP3 it may well be true. I admit to using some in the car....never in the main system. Rolling Eyes

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Digital music unpopular with audiophiles [message #86966 is a reply to message #86823] Wed, 10 January 2018 09:28 Go to previous message
Aria is currently offline  Aria
Baron
Bruce, you always slay with some indepth responses. I think there were issues with quality back in the early days of CDs, but things seem ship-shape to me these days. I don't ever feel like my digital music experiences are bad; they're very good in fact. I understand the appeal of vinyl but as you mentioned, it's all about personal preferences and I just tend ot lean more towards digital music...just because of the ease of consumption.
Previous Topic: Different sources
Next Topic: Hi Res Turntable that records
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 14:23:11 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout