Home » Audio » Source » Record Player
Record Player [message #86830] Thu, 21 December 2017 11:55 Go to next message
Perfect Storm is currently offline  Perfect Storm
Baron
My parents just gave me a bunch of their old vinyl records and now I feel like I need just the right vinyl player for them What are some of the best players out there now? Is it better to go vintage?
Re: Record Player [message #86847 is a reply to message #86830] Sat, 23 December 2017 02:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Solitary is currently offline  Solitary
Baron
Do they still make those? I've never come across any, but then again, it may be because I wasn't looking for them. I'd think that vintage is better anyway so that you get that authentic sound.
Re: Record Player [message #86868 is a reply to message #86847] Sat, 23 December 2017 15:43 Go to previous message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, A tough question to answer. Yes there are players that go for as little as $30 and systems that are stratospheric in cost. I guess the best answer is to ask...what do you want to actually accomplish? Just play a few records or be a serious listener. In the first case figure on a player in the $2-300 range. You need to search for them but they exist. If what you find is much less than that the sound will me marginal and record life not real good. A decent system with a modest turntable such as one by Pro-ject or Rega will include some sort of amplifier with built in provision for turntables and then a pair of speakers. Figure around $1000 and up. There are some vintage "mini-systems" floating around that would do but it is buyer beware. There is another possibility .....some modest turntables that have usb outputs can play through computers. If you have a good PC and good PC speakers or a home theater set up one of them may do. The LP120 and similar turntables come to mind. Unfortunately playing records is easy...getting good sound is not.

Good Listening
Bruce
Previous Topic: CD demagnetizers
Next Topic: Different sources
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 02:48:08 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers